Solid fuel alternatives

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Since the powers that be (those idiots, wassocks, cretins, looneys) have banned my beloved hexi. I am seeking an alternative that is also solid fuel. Keeping my preference for the hexi stove or nails with a mug.

Has anyone used fire lighters before, are they any good.
Also what do you think of esbit the largest size blocks. A long time since I have used esbit can’t remember if it was any good.

Any other alternative?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If I say bush candles one more time you will be able to hear the entire forum’s eyes rolling.

I use them primarily to light a twig stove in rough conditions but two of them (at the same time) in your three nail stove will boil a 500ml mug slowly. They are candles and therefore sooty.

Twigs are of course the best solid fuel.

I bought 100 tea lights for about £3 in The Range.

Cut up the core of a bog roll into lengths about twice the height of a tea light.
Heat a few of your candles to 100C in the oven for ten minutes then insert cardboard tube sections into melted wax. (You may have to cut the circle and overlap depending on diameter.
Switch off oven and leave for wax climb up the cardboard.
Allow to go solid.
If you use matches or a lighter then that’s it.
I use ferro so I put half a cotton wool ball into the tube. Then make five vertical cuts in the tube and fold it down over the cotton wool and pack into a tin. Chuck into rucksack for a rainy day.

NB DO NOT HEAT THE CANDLES IN WIFE’S COOKING GEAR. THIS CAN CAUSE EARACHE.
Guess who did exactly that yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: Ozmundo and bopdude

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Will try it, that sounds like a good option. The soot does not bother me that’s what a used wet tea bag is for, to clean that off.
Don’t worry the wife won’t find out, blame

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
IMG_6525.jpeg

And we’re off!
IMG_6528.jpeg
Four minutes in …….IMG_6529.jpeg

Eight minutes and no windshield. They take some blowing out once they are going.
IMG_6530.jpeg

Thirteen minutes. Beginning to burn down. Still a useful flame but let’s say 12 minutes.

.IMG_6531.jpeg

All for about 3.75 pee including cotton wool ball, oven heating and a scrape of ferro.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Esbit are made from hexamine & wax.
Not sure there is an alternative, unless regular firelighters are up to the job.

Been think the most convenient might be a tin of chafing gel, at least can snuff it out.

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
I use wood cat litter pellets in my solo stove. They burn hot and long, quite efficient but need a bit of encouragement to get going. Standard firelighters or a fair bit of tinder works fine. I like the standard curly firelighters as they travel well and are easy to light.
The pellets are fairly dense so not a lot is needed per burn, so the weight of fuel to carry isn't too bad, but not as good as Hexi of course.
ps like any other fuel , don't let it get wet or you'll just have a bag of damp sawdust.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I think there's several options for you to consider....

Am I right in thinking that Esbit, although similar, doesn't containe hexamine? Probably represents the best 'like for like' solution.

Those waxed wood fire lighters that you can get from most supermarkets and hardware stores work and are cheap, but you'll need 2-3 to boil a mug for a brew.

The most obvious alternative option though is fire dragon gel, that's seemingly the route that the British military have gone. Just pop that in a Mr Kipling cake tin and your old hexamine stove can live long and prosper. Can't say that I'm a fan of it though. In my experience, one tab wouldn't always boil a mug of water, it was very sensitive to the outside conditions.

My preferred alternative would be to use a small spirit burner. Plenty of videos showing you how to make one cheaply from an old vaseline tin or shoe polish tin with some loft insulation or stove rope. Failing that you can buy them quite cheaply (about a fiver) from various folk (Speedster Stoves, Descattys on etsy, Outdoor Gear Essentials). These will provide you with a more reliable solution and almost certainly cheaper than the fuel tabs.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
View attachment 88239

And we’re off!
View attachment 88240
Four minutes in …….View attachment 88241

Eight minutes and no windshield. They take some blowing out once they are going.
View attachment 88242

Thirteen minutes. Beginning to burn down. Still a useful flame but let’s say 12 minutes.

.View attachment 88243

All for about 3.75 pee including cotton wool ball, oven heating and a scrape of ferro.
Thank you for that. Definitely worth trying and the pictures helped me see how you make them.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I think there's several options for you to consider....

Am I right in thinking that Esbit, although similar, doesn't containe hexamine? Probably represents the best 'like for like' solution.

Those waxed wood fire lighters that you can get from most supermarkets and hardware stores work and are cheap, but you'll need 2-3 to boil a mug for a brew.

The most obvious alternative option though is fire dragon gel, that's seemingly the route that the British military have gone. Just pop that in a Mr Kipling cake tin and your old hexamine stove can live long and prosper. Can't say that I'm a fan of it though. In my experience, one tab wouldn't always boil a mug of water, it was very sensitive to the outside conditions.

My preferred alternative would be to use a small spirit burner. Plenty of videos showing you how to make one cheaply from an old vaseline tin or shoe polish tin with some loft insulation or stove rope. Failing that you can buy them quite cheaply (about a fiver) from various folk (Speedster Stoves, Descattys on etsy, Outdoor Gear Essentials). These will provide you with a more reliable solution and almost certainly cheaper than the fuel tabs.
Thank you, tried the gel, not for me didn’t like it and the extra packaging with the blocks. But all the other options are worth trying.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Since the powers that be (those idiots, wassocks, cretins, looneys) have banned my beloved hexi. I am seeking an alternative that is also solid fuel. Keeping my preference for the hexi stove or nails with a mug.

Has anyone used fire lighters before, are they any good.
Also what do you think of esbit the largest size blocks. A long time since I have used esbit can’t remember if it was any good.

Any other alternative?
fire lighters are cheap and superbly fit for purpose. They tend to burn a bit faster than other purpose made cooking tablets but who cares, you save loads of money. I use them in my rocket stove when I cant be bothered to collect twigs. x

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thank you for that. Definitely worth trying and the pictures helped me see how you make them.
pee ess. If you don’t include the cotton wool and light with a match etc (or carry the cotton wool separately) they are waterproof.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Going to have fun again trying all these. For the last 30 years I have used hexi & twigs in my hexi stove or on 3 nails. Just enjoyed the ease of them or I used gas stoves on some occasions, mainly longer hillwalks.

Tried other fuels, have not enjoyed the experience or not got on with them. So with hexi no longer I thought it might stop my fun days out and enjoyment.

All these ideas will help change that. Thank you everyone ! Simple pleasures are all I need in the woods or hills.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Yep tried the gel blocks negatives 1. packaging ( he’s right it should also be able to burn this). 2. The gel block turns to liquid and worse 3. warms food doesn’t cook it hot enough. Those of us who head to the windy hills needs a boiling brew because it cools so quick and the food as hot as possible for the same reason. You want heat back in your body.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seems a shop is selling vintage trioxane, but have to collect it in person in Evesham.

Can't see it on the regulated list.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
so there is very similar out there for us Hexi lovers. Just got to look. Buying some tea lights to make and will be using all the above over the summer to try. Everythings worth a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE