Solid Fire Pit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
I have Solo firepit ranger 38cm without the stand. About £160. It's great takes about 10minutes to warm up and then it's completely smokeess and you can keep 4 people warm. It burns about 20% quicker but laving just ash (and the odd nail) as residue. I've seen a guy on YouTube make one out of 2 oil drums, if you're handy with a welder........

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I saw something similar I think on etsy. That's my preference as I've always wanted one for backpacking trips. TOH wants something solid, heavy that'll just be left out there. I was thinking of Indian fire pits or kadai I think they're called. She wants something more solid than them! Doubt I'd get a wood gasifier burner past her. They do make more sense to me than open fire pits though.

TBH, you won't find a steel firepit more solid than a true Kadai - they come with sturdy stands (ours came with two, a high one for cooking standing up, and a low one for a more 'sit around' fire).

The big advantage of having a bowl on a stand is that you can move it depending on the direction of the breeze so you and your guests don't have to sit in the smoke. You can even move it, with care, when it's lit.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I've had a mild steel, 24" firewok from here: https://firewok.co.uk/ for many years, although I do store it under cover. Nice cottage industry run by real human beings. You could leave it outside if that's what you wanted to do though. They are designed to be portable as the legs unscrew. For campsites where they require the heat source to be higher off the ground to prevent scorching it's easily adaptable. I simply have three longer pieces of steel tube that the existing legs slide into. A variety of accessories are available. I use a couple of lengths of 12mm angle iron we use as pot supports just laid across from rim to rim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE