Solar still not for desert

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I seem to remember he got most of his moisture from raw fish. watched a study lately on how much water we should drink a day to be healthy after all the advice on 8 glasses a day and it helps you diet etc.. all were inconclusive.

if you are in a no food situation then you switch over to a lower water metabolism. your system adjust anyway, troops in the gulf tend to start by drinking 20 litres a day then settle down after a few days as they adjust to the heat. i wouldn't dig a wapping great hole but would look for a hollow to start with then clean it up. I tend to carry foil blankets all about my person and kit as its lighter and tougher than a poly bag so I'd have trouble making a still anyway :eek:

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I would think at night the sweat loss would be far less. Not to mention, once you have dug the hole, it can be reused for many nights with very little effort, so maybe not always useless.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
you could even sleep in it during the day and contribute to the water collection ;)

I wonder what difference bubbling your exhalations through cooled water would do seeing as 20% of breath is supposed to be water so in through the nose and out through a straw. if for example you had a sun shelter and some hose could you breath out and into your still?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wonder what difference bubbling your exhalations through cooled water would do seeing as 20% of breath is supposed to be water so in through the nose and out through a straw. if for example you had a sun shelter and some hose could you breath out and into your still?

not a crazy idea at all. A group of mexican ultral long marathoners (I forget their name) run without carrying or being supplied with any water. They keep a mouthful of water at all times and this slows the dehydration through respiration.

The only procblem is making you apparatus easy to use

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got a fastinating book on desert travel, `Into a desert place` he tells much on his water plans..Ill look it up

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
ive got the barry davies book and also a 1950's aircrew desert survival book coming. if its as good as the general one then I'll enjoy reading it :)

if it takes a fortnight min to aclimatise then I'd best not get lost next week in egypt :rolleyes:

the marathon runners BOD is talking about should be the tarahumara indians of northern mexico(copper canyon).

my own experiments with solar stills on tropical beaches have so far been unsuccessful- the wind blew sand over them all time until they collapsed.
as this method is obviously NOT working in deserts (and not worth the effort) i would really like to know who came up with this idea at all and if there is/was anybody who has ever survived by using this method.

"disappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I'm not sure how it would work on sand. I have been reading that its recomended you move the still every day as you exhaust the ground unless you can keep topping it up.

galew

Tenderfoot
as this method is obviously NOT working in deserts (and not worth the effort) i would really like to know who came up with this idea at all and if there is/was anybody who has ever survived by using this method.
n[/quote]
I would expect some armchair thinker that never tried it to see if it was worth while. I have read many survival ideas that I am sure had never been tried as they didn't work that well when I tried them.
Like the one that recommends using your gun to start a fire, by removing the bullet and then putting part of the gun powder on your tinder and then firing the rest at it. Work great for blowing your tinder away, but not for starting a fire. What does work is stuffing the shell after removing the bullet with cloth and then firing into the air, Most of the time will get one or more smoldering pieces that can now be used to lite the tinder.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
n

Maybe its not related to deserts but to answer your question.. yes I have survived using this method.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don`t think it`s people being intentionally nasty Gray, I just think some people have a different ways of writing something down. Sometimes our comments don`t come across to others as we would have liked them to.

I think it was forestdweller who made the remarks and not galew, but at the same time I think he was just giving his opinion from past experience.

Maybe I`ve got it wrong but who cares :grouphug:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
As I recall Stuart (and Mors) were talking about this at the Moot.
Allegedly the solar still is all the fault of the USAF who did experiments in a lab on the theory, then put it into a survival manual.
everyone else just copied from the same sources and the myth has spread.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
n
I would expect some armchair thinker that never tried it to see if it was worth while. I have read many survival ideas that I am sure had never been tried as they didn't work that well when I tried them.
Like the one that recommends using your gun to start a fire, by removing the bullet and then putting part of the gun powder on your tinder and then firing the rest at it. Work great for blowing your tinder away, but not for starting a fire. What does work is stuffing the shell after removing the bullet with cloth and then firing into the air, Most of the time will get one or more smoldering pieces that can now be used to lite the tinder.

Actually the source of the idea is known. It was published in the journal Science many years ago. I don't have the reference handy but I can see if I can dig it up. Over the years, there have been a lot of different reports on this method. Most show that it's not all that successful but some show it's worth the effort. However, there are some sophisticated tricks that are required to make it work if it's gonna work at all. These were best covered in Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker. I believe the 1st or 2nd edition.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
As regards to the still, they obviously wont work in a desert unless you put something wet in it but they do work. During an encounter many years ago, myself and 5 others were stranded and took about a pint of water a day from a still with a diameter of about 6 feet. A pints not a lot but when you've got none, a pints a pint.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE