Softie jackets, are they snugpak?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
No, i don't think they are. I have a snugpak, & i got one of these for my lad who's in the army but can't get one issued. They are very good quality, & seem to work as good as the snugpak, the downside is they do seem slightly smaller.

Rob

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Mine's standing up nicely so far, I'm not at all gentle on clothes so it's had a fair bit of hammer already with no problems at all, I couldn't be happier for the price. I'm away for a week or so's camping from friday onwards and this jacket will be making up most of my "spare warm clothing", I'll let you know how it performs.

Cheers,

Stuart

Oct 27, 2011
Northeast
Hi, did a little snooping on that website and fleabay. Looking at the photos these appear to be the same as the military issued 'softie' jacket. I would guess that this company is the contractor used by the MoD, or a retail arm of it.

The issued jackets are perfectly fine and fit for purpose. I use one (free, thanks ma'am!) and also own a softie sleeka (bought on sale 10 years ago, still at a fair whack) and there's no real difference. Personally I prefer wool layers, however I always have a softie packed for extra warmth when it gets bitter.

Have a look on fleabay for this retailer, they are cheaper on there and they stock a 'swedish' version they claim is fire retardant. (disclaimer - not involved with the company or its products, just helping out!)

@ woof: odd that your lad can't get one through the system, should be able to get one through his QM's. I think they are on general issue....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE