softening leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
I am going through my first attempt at making a sheath, I have the basic tools and some leather which had been in my workshop and has dried out considerably. I have cut out the leather from my pattern but when I fold the leather it feels like it could split, in fact it has slighty it needs somekind of nourishment. The question is do I use neats foot oil to make it more supple, is there anything else I can use? I have quite a bit of this leather and I would love to bring it back to life again.

There are some skilled leather makers on here I wondered if you could help.

ASH

BIGWOLFY

Dec 18, 2008
west coast of scotland
Neatsfoot oil will work if you have it, You can also tray this mix if you wont to make your own see video link (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bcndMLZV7hs&feature=channel_page) Beeswax Coating it can be used on metal as well as leather and other stuff it should help. You can tray Care Cleaner, cleans leather thoroughly while it restores natural oils and suppleness.(http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/care_cleaner.html) good firm to deal with i get a lot of my supplies from them hope this helps.
all the best wolfy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It might also be worth trying a moisturising hand cream - leather is just skin, after all.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
It might also be worth trying a moisturising hand cream - leather is just skin, after all.

I will produce some test pieces first to see which works best, are there substances that I should avoid, that might effect the dying process. I have used vegtable and olive oil to stain before, I take it this should work also.

Thanks for the suggestion

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE