Softening leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Someone has given me an old weight lifting belt which I hope to use a leather strop for sharpening my knife. The trouble is the leather is very stiff and inflexible. Is there anything I can use to help soften it? I've tried working the leather backwards and forwards with my hands and it has helped a little, but it is still rock solid!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
Try your local farmers shop, they should have neatsfoot oil. Just brush it on, dead easy. Probably be on the same shelves as all the horsey-type gear.
Will.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mat, I agree with WilS advice,
But maybe a weightlifters belt was designed to be very stiff - on account of having to provide back support to the wearer. A trip to any charity shop should see several ordinary belts for just a quid a shot! I'm not trying to put you off, but there may be some leather treatment or inner layer thats doing its job.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Thank you for your replies. My wife is a horsey-type and had also suggested neats foot oil so I'll give that a try.

For some reason my local charity shops never seem to have decent leather belts for sale :confused:

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
Good point Mr. Ogri, they are really thick belts. I suppose you could mess about with it, see if its skivable, but it'd probably be easier to keep scrounging around. My charity shops are always well sorted for such things! :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Just on the subject of neat foot oil, I used some recently to revive my clog leather. I noticed it smelled the same as dubbin, do they contain the same stuff? My dad only ever used dubbin on his boots and I never forgot the smell, quite pleasant, not gammy like tallow :yuck:

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
To be honest, I've no idea whats in it, but if you ever fancy making your own leather treatment, liquid paraffin and beeswax are the best base ingredients I've used.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
That's a nifty trick WilS. I wa actually given two belts so I might try the homemade version on my 'spare'.

Thanks!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Years ago I remember going into Boots to buy liquid paraffin for some leather treatment that Robin wanted to make. The lass behind the counter offered me a rather small bottle, so I asked for two, to which she replied, "It's not good to take too much at once, you know."

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
Try these proportions:
1oz Beeswax
2oz candlewax
5oz Liquid paraffin

That should make a nice rub-in-able treatment. Its a recipe far, far older than me, so it must be ok. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE