Soft Shells: Do they have a place in Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Anyone here have one of the newer "Soft Shells"? Usually they are made of synthetics and I know most people here are traditionalists and try to avoid synthetics when they can. However, I know a lot of you like the nylon/goretex shells.
Just wondering if any of you own a soft shell and can offer any reviews, recommendations and what conditions they excel in. I'm thinking of dropping some money on one.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
If it suits you then go for it. Bushcraft gear is usually tough clothing that will survive the brambles and sparks from the fire, so a soft shell may not be best, but if you reckon it will work for you then try one...

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
as "bushcraft" can be a generic term, ranging from what someone does in their local coppice on up to insane treks in various hostile environments, the best answer is; it depends.

do your homework on where you will be using it. i myself rarely light fires, so i have no probs with synthetics.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I have a paramo windproof smock, does that count as soft shell? If so, then I rate it very highly, very breathable and lightweight (as well as windproof).
As irishlostboy says, there's all sorts of bushcraft out there, it's not all lighting fires and pretending to be ray mears.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Excellent question!

I know there are a couple of other alpinists who use this website, and I'm guessing quite a few ramblers/hikers too, and softshells have really taken off in these communities. Softshells have been a hot topic for the last few years, mainly because it was seen originally as a solution without a problem! Also, if you look at the softshell concept (water resistant, some insulation, designed for aerobic activity), you could argue that the softshell has actually been around for years (Paramo, Buffalo, etc)! Some of the best, no-nonsense writing on the subject (in my opinion) is by Andy Kirkpatrick - see the two articles on his site, 'Psychovertical':

http://www.psychovertical.com/?clothing

The big compromise in softshells is between breathability and water resistance: as one goes up, the other goes down. My fave softshell (erm...my only softshell) is one of the old Montane softshells with the hood, which I got in a sale from Cotswold Outdoor. It is highly-breathable but only mildly water resistant - this makes it perfect for highly aerobic activities like alpine climbing but a hardshell or insulating layer is required when you stop. It is excellent at what it was designed for and has a tough Schoeller softshell outer layer. However, ...

...I would argue that they are not great pieces for our bushy activities. Although my softshell is a tough piece of kit that stands up to the abrasion of mountaineering/climbing, I just don't use it for bushcrafting. I'm not one to get uptight about 'synthetics near campfires' like many people, but it just isn't really bushcraft item for me.

I'm finding it hard to put my finger on why I feel like this - perhaps it's because I have a Swanni that just epitomises 'bushcraft activity'. Maybe I don't want to wreck a mountaineering garment on a non-mountaineering activity. Maybe it's because it isn't warm enough for sitting around doing non-aerobic activities.

I'm guessing if you can get hold of a cheap one, it's worth a try but I think you might be disappointed.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I'm with Mike on this one, softshell's great on mountains, but for bushcraft it's not really my first choice. Andy Kirkpatrick has some very interesting reading on that site. It's not to everyone's tastes and he perhaps doesn't give as much credit to other systems as he could, but it's interesting reading nonetheless.
If you want recommendations for softshell kit my first choice for upper body wear is Paramo; most of the year I'm in their adventure smock with the torres smock for insulation while I'm slow, stopped or sleeping. For me they're about perfect; the adventure has all the features I need (venting, map / compass pocket, fixed hood, etc) while the torres is warm warm warm. The aspira is also brilliant for colder conditions if that's the way you want to go.
Lower body I'll go for either montane or paramo cascada trousers depending on where I am, when, and what I'm doing. I will however often have a pair of thin hardshell waterproof trousers in the bag too during the winter. If I'm going to be in gullies, sat belaying for a while, or digging snowholes or the like they do come in useful.
Why don't I wear them for bushcraft? For me they're a bit too technical. They're not cheap and I don't particularly want to ruin them pushing through a forest or, as was pointed out, from sparks from a fire. But more than that bushcrafting's not really the high energy activity they were designed for. I don't need all the quick venting, I don't need map pockets... I'd prefer to wear something a lot cheaper and harder wearing, in my case usually CS95 kit. Plus I like the extra camo.
Saying that mind I know Buffalo 6 shirts are popular in the forces so people DO use it...

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I like softshell for running & orienteering activities. It is also comfortatble for bushcraft, but as said above it may not last that well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a Special 6 shirt which I still use for hill walking and bimbling around in but if I`m gonna be sat next to a fire all night I`ll wear my swannie or an old fleece.

Rich

mrstorey

Forager
I've got a Mountain Equipment Guide softshell jacket. It's not the best for strenuous walking, as you tend to overheat, but for moseying around, there's nothing better: light, windproof, waterproof in all but an absolute hurricane, and tough too.

Softshell might not look like traditional 'bushcraft' wear, but then what's truly authentic? Tweed? Furry loincloths? A cloak? After all, ventile, fleeces and army surplus are all modern fabrics, and I'd say there aren't many people on here eschew all those items of clothing. For what it's worth, I think softshell and bushcraft are great playmates :)

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
I have a Berghaus Choktoi, seems to do the job of layering just nicely.
Not bulky but offers warmth and water/wind resistance. combined with a paclit offers great performance and warmth while remaining light.

Depending on weather conditions, I wear a combination of,
running top/wick layer, t-shirt, norgie, choktio, paclit.
I've been using this combination for a while and it's took every thing the UK can throw at me.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have two - a Rab summer weight one in powershield.

I wear two merino baselayers and that in all but the worst conditions, and when it gets nasty I go for either an eVent montane hard shell or my winter weight Patagonia soft shell which is just amazing (but at nearly £300 notes it should be). When I stopped at night I just put my BIG montane pile pertex over the baselayer and soft shell.

In one of the photos of my trip to Scotland I am literally sitting with my legs either side of the fire at -8. The spitting didn't have a huge effect on the kit.

Softshell - best thing since, erm, anything in the hills. -- I'm that converted I may just carry a lightweight cotton jacket to go over the top by the fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE