Soap & Sugar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I would go with ordinary soap and skip the antibacterial stuff. There have been some research stating that we use far too much antibacterial soap which is causing resistant bacteria.

As someone who deals with the effects of antibiotic resistance on a daily basis, I echo the above!

ATB,

KP

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
The black gunk referred to earlier by Wayland, and also used by my nan, was probably icthammol - a drawing salve. It is aluminum bituminosulphate, distilled from high sulphur oil shale and rumoured to have antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. I can testify to its ability to bring splinters and glass shards to the surface. That said I've not seen it for about fifty years.

Zam-Buc is a pretty effective proprietary substitute and all round 'healing compound' still readily available which I use as a cure-all for any skin complaints including cuts, grazes and splinters.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah me being old too can remember my Granny and Mum using a poultice for various ailments. Years later as a Painter and decorator I would use soap & sugar to remove Paint, as the sugar acts as an abrasive. I miss the good old days when you never had a care in the world (Oops hear I go again).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The black gunk referred to earlier by Wayland, and also used by my nan, was probably icthammol - a drawing salve. It is aluminum bituminosulphate, distilled from high sulphur oil shale and rumoured to have antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. I can testify to its ability to bring splinters and glass shards to the surface. That said I've not seen it for about fifty years.

Zam-Buc is a pretty effective proprietary substitute and all round 'healing compound' still readily available which I use as a cure-all for any skin complaints including cuts, grazes and splinters.

I wondered about that; I reckoned it might also be black basilicon ointment, made with pitch, beeswax, lard and olive oil.

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Yeah me being old too can remember my Granny and Mum using a poultice for various ailments. Years later as a Painter and decorator I would use soap & sugar to remove Paint, as the sugar acts as an abrasive. I miss the good old days when you never had a care in the world (Oops hear I go again).
I still use this, or if I have some soap and saw-dust. back in the 80s my old boss used to buy "Swarfega with beads" but we thought sawdust was just as good and didn't cost a fiver for a tub. (workshop was full of free sawdust)
I've been using soap and sawdust/sugar since then.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My Gran swears by the green inner skin of an onion either wrapped or bound to draw out a splinter.
I have far too little patience and usualy opt for a clean sharp knife and tweesers, sterile of course.

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
probably less relevant here, but with metal splinters I've found that sticking a blob of superglue on the skin, letting it set and then as you peel it off the splinter comes out. works with wood too, but the speed can be good with metal.
cheapo swarfega's easily made by adding sand to liquid soap, but rather than cleaning with soap, use alcohol or saline. preferably alcohol, any excuse to carry a hip flask ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE