So, which big rucksack should I get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which Rucksack do you recommend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hello all,
It's time to get a bigger rucksack. I've been happy with my Sabre 45 with side pouches, and never really satisfied with the big pink Jack Wolfskin job I have (but it's easy to find in the woods...!)
What with a 10 day hike in Norway coming up :D I thought I need something a bit more substantial.
I'd like to canvas some opinion. It seems that the popular large sack choice is between the Berghaus Vulcan and the Karrimor Sabre 60/100.
So, Assuming both fit equally well which would you recommend and why?
Or, if you know of a better one, what is it?

Cheers!
Neil

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Others here can only recommend on what works for and fits themselves and on build quality. The best advice is to get to a local shop and try them on with say a couple of climbing ropes inside to act as the load. 10 days will seem like 30 with a bag thats not comfortable to your frame and build.
Dave.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hello,

I currently have a Lowe Alpine Alpamayo 70+20l (discontinued now).
It is narrow and high because it is an alpine/climbing backpack. Very very stable and very good compression with 3 side straps on each side. Also the fabric just doesn't seem to wear out. Very happy with it. I never needed or wanted side pockets.
I think the replacement they make now is called Cerro Torre.

Also MacPac is very good.

Downside: it's higher because it is narrow. If you walk around in dense forest, you might catch on treebranches a bit more. Never bothered me though.

If you buy a 100l pack, you will want to fill it! A heavy pack is the result. Look for a +/- 70l pack and only take what you need.

Just my opinion...

Bjorn

EDIT: Nemisis is right. Try as many as you can and find the best one for YOU.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Thanks for the pointers guys.
Of course, I shall try them on before I buy, so I have edited the original post to exclude the issue of fit. I'm more trying to find out the most practical and useful, or whether one has "Design Features" that are actually just pointless or annoying, that kind of thing.

The reason I plan to go for a large bag: I've got to take usual kit, fishing kit and food for 10 days on this trip, plus non-expedition gear for the surrounding days and souvenirs on the way back. I then plan to use it for a long-term trip to the other side of the world later on....

Cheers,
Neil

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
One of them Swedish frame jobs looks the doggies.Very versatile,you can carry logs,bundles of sticks etc using the frame on it's own.

I've no personal experience of them but there is a post with pictures on here somewhere.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
get quality, get strength,

use the smallest you can get away with otherwise you'll always fill it!

i used to use a karrimor condor with a zoom feature(expanding area) which is great when you want to pack it quick for the trip home. it went from 60-80 liters in seconds! nice!

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
I have a Mac Pac glissade (somewhere between 70 and 90 liters). I personnally love it. It fits in everything I want with ease. It's fabric is very durable and strongly waterrepellant. The support system transfers the load to my hips in a great way without becoming to stiff.
For me it is a perfect bag. The only downside is it's weight. The pack alone weights in at around 2,5 kg if I remember correctly.
But I agree with the others. Try as many packs as you can and think how much you will be carrying. I can extend my pack up to 90 liters, but have never used it. Buying a pack to big means carrying useless weight.

hope this is of any help.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
ilovemybed said:
Hello all,
It's time to get a bigger rucksack. I've been happy with my Sabre 45 with side pouches, and never really satisfied with the big pink Jack Wolfskin job I have (but it's easy to find in the woods...!)
What with a 10 day hike in Norway coming up :D I thought I need something a bit more substantial.
I'd like to canvas some opinion. It seems that the popular large sack choice is between the Berghaus Vulcan and the Karrimor Sabre 60/100.
So, Assuming both fit equally well which would you recommend and why?
Or, if you know of a better one, what is it?

Cheers!
Neil

Neil, I've currently got a Sabre 60/100 rucksack. Just used it for my fundamental bushcraft course - it's well made, comfortable and very versatile - but it has one drawback - because it's so well made and made of substantial material, it's bleedin heavy for a rucksack! Even empty it must weigh at least 4 kgs :yikes: . There are many packs out there that are lighter and would withstand (almost!) as much punishment.

Bear in mind (I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs) weight is your enemy! :nutkick:

When you're carrying a 25 kg back back you soon realise this!!! :eek:

Happy rucksack hunting! :D

Phil

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I would Philparry. The 60-100 would take a huge amount of punishment but it is heavy. The Vulcan is lighter but still I feel that you out to enjoy your self not be crushed under the weight of the kitchen sink it takes too fill them. The adjustable harness system of the Karrimor is very good and very comfortable more so the Vulcan in my very humble oppion.

Go for something lighter event he Sabre 45 with the side pouchs would be enough if you still wanted that military durability.

James

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have a glissade too, I carried it for three days over the Cairngorms in Feb with EVERYTHING I needed in it. Very comfortable. I've had it about 8 years - I've been so tired I threw it down Ben Nevis ahead of me and It has a slight hole - smaller than a 1p piece. Amazing bit of kit and I understand the build quality is now BETTER as they are made in China! Not very green though - but the blue is subdued.

I agree with an earlier poster, ALWAYS try them on with weight, go to a decent outdoor shop and don't get pushed into anything. £200 is a lot of money and once you've got some mud on it there's no going back.

Avoid at all costs issue rucksacks, they are designed to sit on top of webbing and all the weight is on your shoulders, I made that mistake trying to save myself the price of a vulcan - ouch. What should have been a beautiful day in the western beacons was me, head down willing it over. When the weight is on your hips, your head is up and the views are always better.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i quite like my swedish LK75 frme pack.
it holds masses of kit and it's very comfortable and as it's a frame pack it has exellent ventilation for your back. plus you can take the pack off nd use it as a packframe for carrying other things.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Look at the highlander forces 99 for less than £70
The new Highlander Forces military rucksacks have been designed to meet the higher demands from the troops.
A Fully padded airmesh system with full flow ventilation channels to quickly dissipate sweat. The back length can be fully customised to place even the heaviest load close to the centre of gravity. The range uses XTP900 fabric with four polyurethane layers to be abrasion resistant yet remains supple in cold conditions. All accessories are specially manufactured using the best quality materials and have enough capacity to be used for camping, climbing or travelling.
Optional conversion to twin compartment. Bottom compartment easy access zipped opening.

* Capacity: 99 litres
* Twin zipped side pockets with storm protection flaps & zipped front pocket
* Zipped lid pocket for maps or accessories
* Airmesh funnel back system
* Fabric: XTP900 PU coated polyester
* Padded waist belt with integral pocket
* Chest and waist stabilisers (padded)
* Webbing facility on base lid
* Robust/quick-release straps all-round & shock cord system
* Draw Corded snowlock
* Duraflex plastic accessories
* Ice axe/walking pole holder loops
* ABS (Adjustable Back System)

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr3370.html

forces_99.jpg

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Ive just finished a fundamental bushcraft course and the first thing i said id do is drop kick my crappy old Escape 60. With a full load the straps kept sliding loose/ The advice I'd give ia get the biggest that you can. You dont have to fill it full but there is nothing worse that having more kit than carrying space and having to tie stuff on the outside. You could take a look at the WebTex PLCE stuff which is really flexible & adaptable. I personally would not look at a system that didnt break down into a day pack.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
What’s most important to me when choosing a rucksack is comfort and after trying lots the one that was most comfortable for me was the Aztec Tacuba 65. I like the way you can adjust the height of the load (ITW Nexus Slide and Lock System). It also had some nice design touches like the built in high visibility cover which is big enough to cover kit attached to the outside of the sack and stores away neatly when not in use. Last year they were under £60 new.

Full Tacuba spec at http://www.camping-outdoors.co.uk/rucksacks.htm. I have not traded with this company and am not in a position to recommend them. I don’t think Aztec have a UK web site.

Best of luck.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
here is a cheap but good one:
bagpack02.jpg

as a cheap but very good alternative:
the swedish army rucksack, you are able to remove the sack and use it to carry wood, or the hunted kill home to base camp.

carring-it-out02.jpg

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE