So I'm going to be camping with tarp and bivi for the first time

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
COOL BEANS! fist nights are ace, waterproof things, I used tesco ziplok bags at first and they work great, the medium ones will take a couple of socks,pants,bag of foot powder(in its own ziplok) with out any worries, have your torch in your pocket but try not to use it unless you have to, instead get used to thinking and feeling your way around with what night vision you have, and remember "Oft that bush becomes a bear" if you see a bear just go back to sleep, might aswell get eaten rested matey, but most of all,

HAVE FUN if your roughing it, your doing it wrong!!:D

COOL BEANS! fist nights are ace, waterproof things, I used tesco ziplok bags at first and they work great, the medium ones will take a couple of socks,pants,bag of foot powder(in its own ziplok) with out any worries, have your torch in your pocket but try not to use it unless you have to, instead get used to thinking and feeling your way around with what night vision you have, and remember "Oft that bush becomes a bear" if you see a bear just go back to sleep, might aswell get eaten rested matey, but most of all,

HAVE FUN if your roughing it, your doing it wrong!!:D

Cheers southey :)

Going to have to think about what food to take now, Hadn't actually give that any thought ye.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Even if you get wet, in this weather you're unlikely to get hypothermia (especially with a synthetic sleeping bag) but have a clear exit plan if it starts going wrong - I don't know if you're walking or driving in.

Remember, in all likelihood the biggest, scariest, most dangerous animal out there is YOU :)

Have fun, let us know how you got on!

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Learn some knots for the middle of the night when your line lock snaps. Some basic first aid (inc hypothermia dangers) and FAK. If you're going far, tell someone where you're going and along which route, give them a kit list and approx time you'll be back. Enjoy yourself.:D

P.s. Don't forget that torch!

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
An aluminiumm (Sigg type) water bottle will also serve as a hot water bottle. Stick it inside your spare pair of sox.

Even if you get wet, in this weather you're unlikely to get hypothermia (especially with a synthetic sleeping bag) but have a clear exit plan if it starts going wrong - I don't know if you're walking or driving in.

Remember, in all likelihood the biggest, scariest, most dangerous animal out there is YOU :)

Have fun, let us know how you got on!

Its a down sleeping bag, but the point still stands. Especially with a bivi as well :) I'm biking/walking, which is pretty annoying but nothing i can do about that really :p

Does that mean you have been camping before with other set ups & other people or will it be your very first time camping ?

First time wild camping. Only ever been tent camping before and that was with other people.

Learn some knots for the middle of the night when your line lock snaps. Some basic first aid (inc hypothermia dangers) and FAK. If you're going far, tell someone where you're going and along which route, give them a kit list and approx time you'll be back. Enjoy yourself.:D

P.s. Don't forget that torch!

Well Lifeguarding and sailing have sorted the first and and knots :D Will do with giving people a ETA back though. Thanks!

An aluminiumm (Sigg type) water bottle will also serve as a hot water bottle. Stick it inside your spare pair of sox.

Will my black issue army canteen do the same job, or does it have to be metal?

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
dont pitch your bivvi in the dark like i did on my first outing. i woke up with about 15 dogwalkers looking into my bivi like i was some poor homeles bloke living in the woods. i pitch about three feet from where a load of footpaths through the woods converged. make sure you set up in a place youre happy beforeit gets dark, pack all your unused kit into your bag before going to sleep and make sure you have too much fire wood, and keep it close enough that you dont have to get up to pop it on the fire

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Ooops just one other thing before you go dude, DON'T take that zombie.com podcast I gave you the link for with you, if you start listening to that, doze off and wake up with the earbuds still in hearing lots of moaning and screaming, it'll all end badly man. :D :D :D

Si

Last edited:
Ooops just one other thing before you go dude, DON'T take that zombie.com podcast I gave you the link for with you, if you start listening to that, doze off and wake up with the earbuds still in hearing lots of moaning and screaming, it'll all end badly man. :D :D :D

:lmao:That could end up very badly indeed. I'd sound like that fox screaming.

First time out, make sure you take too much, it's better to have and not need than do need and not have.

thankyou! :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
First time wild camping. Only ever been tent camping before and that was with other people

Will my black issue army canteen do the same job, or does it have to be metal?

You're not a complete newbie then, you must have picked up some basics, camping is camping, tent or tarp..;)..
Yep your plastic bottle will work as a ' bed warmer' :) but only wussies use hot water bottles..:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE