So, gaiters. Who likes 'em and who doesn't?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I have three pairs of gaiters that see regular use:

First set is a pair of stretch Spandura gaiters that just come to ankle height, they get used in the summer season mainly when walking through scree fields in the mountains

Second set is a pair of Outdoor Research Crocodile gaiters that are made of 1000 denier cordura and a heavy canvas uppr- they get used a lot in the heavy brush and bogs that we get a lot of in British Columbia

My last set are a 30 year old pair of Berghaus Yeti gaiters that I bought in North Wales in the mid 80's - the rubber rands have been replaced 5 times, but the uppers just won't die- these are semi permanently attached to my plastic double mountaineering boots. I used to use these a lot on winter mountaineering trips and summer glacier climbs.

I use the OR Crocodiles the most now- they do double duty in both winter and summer, since they get strapped onto my telemark ski boots during the ski season.

Ashmarsh860

Mar 30, 2013
North Dorset
I have a couple of pairs, a pair of Lowe Alpine Triple-point ceramic, which are the more traditional style that clip on to the top of my boot. I also have a pair of Yeti gaiters that I wear if I am in deep snow or if I am walking through a lot of wet heather or gorse. The Yeti's are great but they do take an eternity to put on and you need to be built like a Hungarian weightlifter to get them on. They also have a tendency to 'pop' off at the toe if you are kneeling for long periods of time, But they are still good! However I normally just go with my Hoggs Field Pro trousers over my Lowa Patrols, they keep my feet and lower legs nice and toasty warm!

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I have a few pairs as i do a fair bit of walking up on't Moors, they do exactly what they're supposed to when it's wet out, an essential part of my kit t.b.f.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have worn a stretchy neoprene pair over walking boots ("Mac Gaiters"?) for Grouse shooting and they worked well - tough and silent. Otherwise I just cinch my trousers up a little to keep the mud off and to stop ticks getting up there. If walking in deep snow then I like goretex gaiters over waking boots or muckboots. But I'm also just getting into high-top walking boots (Meindl Dovres) and these seem to eliminate the need for gaiters.

I have a Ventile pair of gaiters bought from eb*y and they are very good - quiet, fairly waterproof and tougher than they look.

Last edited:

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi, Love my putties in the summer. They breath and really comfy. Other uses if in an emergency (bandage, sling etc) and if you tie them right they dont keep falling down as some people always say. In the winter I have a long pair of gortex gaiters for the cold and the wet. Proper job!

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
The Yetis seem very popular on here. I'd never seen them before. I love the concept. Creates a more or less water tight seal for wading through bog and water. My gaiters offer protection against rain but they fail if wading through water higher than my boot because they don't create a seal. Has anyone experienced the watertightness of Yetis?

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
I've hd yeti's on whilst oing an evasion as a hunter, they wer good, buys make sure you get a pair the fit just right. Mine had the thin slat of rubber removed for easy access and they were a pain in the backside with the toe lipping off the front, lever I soon swapped these and tried them again and they were awesome with a nice pair of waterproof kexx. Wading almost waist high through flooded ditches and shi...mud... Stayed bone dry. Not worth th £90 some retailers flog them for.... The yeti extreme are a little more lined I think aswel... Not tried them yet

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I use them a great deal- now a professional stalker ( amongst other things ). Use them with all outdoor trousers, but particularly with plus 2/3's Tweeds.

Noise is a major issue and gaiters have been a fraught journey. Macgaiters are quiet - but just dont like the look or feel. Worked way through most makes and very very few stack up for me. The two that stand out are both very hard to come by -

1. Hillman - Bulgarian clothing, its very good, but sourcing and pricing in UK makes it hardly worth the effort. Great gear so its a shame. Many European clients come with it and in Europe its a reasonably priced brand.

So impressed, I wrote to Hillman to see about bringing it in. Discussions went well, but midway through they suddenly announced they had sorted a UK distributor. Went to them, but pricing put them up in Harkila territory. People werent going to pay for an 'unknown' Bulgarian outfit over something as well recognised as Harkila.

UK distributor rapidly dropped the gaiters and other items - due to lack of demand. Anyone ever seen it advertised/ reviewed?

EDIT - checked Hillman site - gaiters dont appear to be listed any longer :(

2. Kammo - long established Uk brand. Got a pair of their gaiters in Image type cammo. Great, great gaiters - mine are in bits now and have never let in. Just my opinion, but best gaiter product I have ever had.

Following my usual Jonah technique, as soon as I tried to get some more the old place in Shropshire seemed to close and moved or was sold to guys in Oldham. Website changed and though gaiters listed as a top 5 seller, they were never listed on the e shop. A few dozen telephone attempts and e mails - never to receive a reply, after about 7 weeks, I got them on the phone. Gaiters 'sort of available', would ring back, but did I want to leave my card number? Just didnt feel comfortable.

I know Kammo do CLA and Weston Park - but havent made it to either for several years now, so dont know if the gaiters are on their stand..

No shops up here seem to carry Kammo anymore. But if you find some, try it - if you get a large size in green or the image tupe Kammo and dont like them, please get in touch - 'cos I'll have them! :)

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Used to wear YETIs on hillwalks and WHW etc but with the advent of gore tex lined boots, don't use them any more. Also, my Decathlon softshell winter trousers have a reinforced ankle area and internal snow gaiters - deep snow goes int he tongue of boots then melts - no need for gaiters in the snow either.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somewhere I have patterns for gaiters; basic hook onto the front lace of the boot and strapped under the sole kind, and full boot with the rubber all round the boot type too (old car inner tube for the rubber. It sews and seals well with appropriately enough, rubber glue, like bike patches)
I found old style canvas ones worked really well, and they can be very quiet too, as are the ones made from the soft skin waterproof fabric that some dressier jackets are made from. Fairly easy to sew too, and all the notions from hooks to studs, zips to velcro, are easily available.

Does John Fenna not give patterns in his outdoor clothing book too ?

cheers,
Toddy

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
I use them. It depends mostly on where you go and what you have to do with them. I wear them with hiking boots (short model of gaiters, just up above the ankle) to prevent ticks from climbing up inside my pants and to protect me from wet grass. For other terrains / activities I prefer wax leggings.

I've moved over to wearing Plus fours lalely and wearing them with a waxed canvas pair of gaiters late, and they've been very good, robust and quiet too. The nylon/goretex pair i had before were only really and good in the snow and made a hell-o'va noise. I've often thought of making a Ventile pair so its good to hear that people have been happy with them.

Reactions: Adrian Bullen

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Another wearer here. I use Goretex ones which eliminates condensation problems. Can't abide Goretex lined boots, though, they make my feet stink somthing shocking. :yikes:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use a short pair of goretex ones... mostly to keep mud out of my laces. I rarely just go out for a walk so most of my trips out are over night and I just hate having to undo wet muddy laces before bed and try to get them on if I need the loo in the night or when I wake up in the morning.

I still have some of these: http://www.rei.com/product/708811/mountain-hardwear-ascent-ventigaiters

That I used for just a week in Finland... they were amazing, so much that while I have never used them, I haven't parted with them. Weird for me as i'm usually pretty mean to my kit mountain and sell things I don't use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE