So, gaiters. Who likes 'em and who doesn't?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I've tried gaiters and while they're good if I'm beating around in dense undergrowth or bracken situations I find they get a bit hot (especially with Goretex lined boots) if I'm walking at a fair old clip.

What do others think? Do you go with or without and in which situations?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I'm trogging through long wet grass, muddy fields or snow, I wear them. That kind of exercise is too warm to wear full waterproof trousers and the gaiters keep at least some of the muck and slush out of my boots.
Otherwise, no.

cheers,
Toddy

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I use some short gaiters on muddy days as I tend to catch the bottom of my trousers with my boots so muddy up quite quickly. Having said that I often still end up with mud spots right up to the top of my thighs.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I don't like the swish noise from gaiters so I use half chaps - the sort horse riders use
They're made of leather, stand up on thier own which means they don't slip down during the day making you pull them up like a pair of unruly socks
Expensive compared to gaiters but IMO worth the extra

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can't abide the noise as Mark says - they are practical in such a narrow range of uses when I have the choice of neoprene wellies that mine rarely get used now. Useful if backpacking in an area with much bracken but an unpleasant necessity and a faff to put on and annoying to wear.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I use them; either my home made light canvas or my ex army heavy canvas ones. I use them to keep the mud and crap off, not for full waterproofness. I've found that the canvas doen't make my legs sweat as much as the modern breatherable ones.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Always use them when mud and/or snow is present. I can tolerate water, but in no way these two elements.

I like the design of the Berghaus Yeti/Wilderness that also covers the boot, but i opted for the classic gaiter style made with Cordura fabric.

When conditions are fine I don't need them, but I do carry them in case I need to go through a rather "challenging" path.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wear canvas gaiters in mud and snow - canvas can stand up on its own for ventilation if needed, is comparatively quiet and is a natural fibre fabric.

Eagleman

Apr 5, 2011
Aberdeenshire
They're great! I have yetis on a pair of boots and another pair without. Keeps the heather seeds out of my boots (which keeps the house clean when I take off my boots!) and I can cross reasonable burns without getting wet as long as I move quickly. They do add a bit of weight and the sound can be annoying, so that is why I have them on one pair of boots only. I also often use normal gaiters on my other boots just to keep stuff from going down inside my boots if I know I'll be going across deep heather for a long time. If it does get too warm I do just chuck them in my bag.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I use them summer and winter. The woods here are always wet. So it's nice to be able to stay dry. And when the conditions warrants wearing them, it's never so warm that I am bothered by wearing the gaiters.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I like them but I don't like the heavy canvas army pair that I have. I think they're destined for the GIO. I will probably try making a pair in something lighter; ventile perhaps.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I will probably try making a pair in something lighter; ventile perhaps.

Now those really would be of interest! I use them and really like their versatility and protection. When out in gnarlier weather, wearing a jacket and gaiters is an excellent combination, giving you more ventilation on your hard-working legs. I tend to use a pair of polycotton ones in the woods and a Goretex pair when on the hill or mountain.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Don't have any personally but can see the point if you're walking through loads of wet grass.
If you put them on in Keswick carpark just so you can walk about the town with full fellwalker status* then yer a Berk though.

*Seen it loads of times.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have a short and a long pair but I find them both hot, uncomfortable and a nuisance to put on. I don't mind wet but I hate mud. I like the idea of canvas but I haven't worn canvas gaiters since battledress days. Are there modern options and if so where can I get some?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE