Snugpak Special Forces Bivvi Bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I used to have their paratex pile shirt. It was breathable and tough......but.......I cut the pile lining out and used it as a wind-shirt. It was fine for a while...........but.......one day I pulled it over my back and it split horizontally, all the way across my back :eek:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Doesn't say the fabric is breathable that I can see?

I'm pretty sure it's more breathable than most non-goretex PU bivi's and from what I hear many guys in the forces love the snugpak SF bivvi so it must be good, but I'd like to know if it's roomy enough for a thermarest prolite regular and a PHD minim 300, I'm 5.10" and slim build as I also hear the Alpkit hunka regular is not big enough for any sort of sleeping mat inside, otherwise I'd of probably gone for it, and the XL version is 85g heavier than the snugpak SF bivvi, and without a nice zip so you can sit up if need be so for about £20 more you can get a nicer and slightly lighter weight bivi bag.

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
I've been using the SF bivvi bag for just over a year know and really like it, I'm 5'11, 40- 42" chest and have plenty of room in the bag, probably to much but I hate feeling confined when sleeping and combined with either of the SF sleeping bags have not had a cold night yet. The material is breathable (see snugpak link in first post) although they recommend against sealing the bag completely so as you can still breathe,always a good thing....:) very waterproof at 5000mm HH and packs down reasonably small. I've not tried the Alpkit Hunka for a comparison so don't know how they rate against each other...? But the centre zips on the Snugpaks make life a little easier (for me anyway).

I'll be sticking with the SF system for the foreseeable future.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I've been using the SF bivvi bag for just over a year know and really like it, I'm 5'11, 40- 42" chest and have plenty of room in the bag, probably to much but I hate feeling confined when sleeping and combined with either of the SF sleeping bags have not had a cold night yet. The material is breathable (see snugpak link in first post) although they recommend against sealing the bag completely so as you can still breathe,always a good thing....:) very waterproof at 5000mm HH and packs down reasonably small. I've not tried the Alpkit Hunka for a comparison so don't know how they rate against each other...? But the centre zips on the Snugpaks make life a little easier (for me anyway).

I'll be sticking with the SF system for the foreseeable future.

Perfect, just want I wanted to hear. I already have a british army issue bivi but it's just too big and heavy for summer hiking, hence why I'm looking for a lighter bivi, will be ordering this snugpak SF in due course :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
From the link in the OP
[/FONT][/COLOR]

But breathability will always be dependant on moisture in (or passing through) the air.
+1

If your exposed and the wind and rain press the bag to your form....then any bag won't breathe as they will lead you to belive.
Then throw in a higher heart rate etc due to not sleeping when conditions are worsening ......more condensation that can't escape....

I was once caught out with a very expensive...supposedly gas-permeable bivvi bag on the backside of Mt. Skiddaw
That was the end of my mountain bivvi days :eek:

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I have the un zipped version, I really like it. Im a pretty cold sleeper so have been known to wear alot and risk sweating. Saying that i have always felt dry and toasty. Hope these piccys help.

BTW thats a softie 12 in comparison

IMAG1319_zpsbd135ad9.jpg

IMAG1317_zps25e27e6d.jpg

IMAG1315_zps19319327.jpg

IMAG1314_zpsdbb04d2a.jpg

IMAG1316_zpsce4168f6.jpg

IMAG1318_zps122fd43f.jpg

Hi Tobias Ill have to get a look at that next time your up at Brockwell.....

If you don't mind

I've been looking at getting the zipped version, I currently have the British Army Issue and its Great, but since I've gone to Hammocking a Central Zip would make life better.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hi Tobias Ill have to get a look at that next time your up at Brockwell.....

If you don't mind

I've been looking at getting the zipped version, I currently have the British Army Issue and its Great, but since I've gone to Hammocking a Central Zip would make life better.

hey up nathan good to hear from you again, yeah sure you can have a look at it. it can be a pain in the **** trying to slide into, zip seems a good idea.

when is the next brockwell btw?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Having some problems with the above supplier, they originally agreed to wait for more green stock of the SF bivi however they sent me a black one regardless, with some cryptic note below the invoice about how I can exchange for a green in non-SF version if I still want. A black bivi would stand out like a sore thumb in the middle of the moors.. it must be green or nothing!

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just got a response back, they said snugpak will be sending a new stock of SF bivi's in green however they are now £75 so they want the £17 difference from me... after paying them £60 for it in the first place. not happy at all.

edit: anyone want to swap their olive green snugpak sf bivvi for my brand new black one?

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
That doesn't sound very fair. If they sold you a green one then they ought to absorb the costs involved in getting whatever product they took your money for.

I was after the same bag from the same company. They won't be getting my money now !

Good luck with it !

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Yes I was hoping they would just make a straight swap for the green one, but no, they instead opted to have me post this black one back to them in return for a full refund, and no word about covering the £3-4 cost of sending it them via recorded royal mail!
I'm still open to swapping should someone prefer a black one, and going to email snugpak now to try and get them to swap it for a green!

EDIT: What the!... I just checked their shops product listing page and can see they still have the SF bivi in OLIVE for the SAME price, and it says IN STOCK, so why are they telling me they have no stock and to give them more money? See for yourself! http://www.campshop.co.uk/products/Snugpak-Special-Forces-Bivi-Bag.html

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE