Snugpak softie vs British Army sleeping bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I am looking to replace my 10 pound tesco sleeping bag and having considered the marmot wave 4 and aycucho solar 300 range, I've narrowed it down to the snugpak softie range and the British army sleeping bag.

The main advantage of the snugkpak is that it packs down small. The British army sleeping bag only costs only 30 pounds on ebay and the only thing I have seen said negative about it, is that it is heavy and bulky. I think the weight of the bag is about 2 kilos which I don't think is too much. So it's only the bulkiness that concerns me because I would like to fit into a 50 litre pack.

I am after some more opinions before I make my final decision.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Most synthetic bags that have the same performance and features of the issue bag tend to have the same bulk and weight too so I would go for the best price and what suits best.
The other alternative is to get a down sleeping bag,they cost a lot more but do pack smaller and are less bulky.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I too have the British army sleeping bag and the space it takes up in my cheapo 45l pack is silly ! I've recently bought a Pipe dream 400, (Alpkit) More expensive mind!, but the space it frees up allows more stuff to go in my pack.

It's the first step on a long path to financial ruin ! but it's a good one if you are carrying your kit !:)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi bushytoo,

I was also looking for a decent all round (pretty much all year) sleeping bag with a small pack size just before Christmas.

I already had a snug pack elite which is a superb as are all of the snug pack range (at least those I have had experience with) but same problem of it being quite bulky.

In the end I went for a vango venom 400 which has a tiny pack size and has free'd up considerable space in my pack.
After a lot of web searching I found this for about £80 and haven't looked back since.

Dependant on your budget I would definitely recommend this as an option if pack size is one of your main considerations.

Cheers, Hamster

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
HI Bushytoo

I Have a Snugpak Elite with a Sngupack flees liner, dose well all year round, as it has a second zip to make it larger for Summer use, very worm, It is a good peace of kit and packs down well.

Army Arctic sleeping bag central zipper, this is a help when getting in a hammock and will keep you worn not matter how cold it gets out side, but can be a bit bulky.

Regards
Rum

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The British bag is massive and heavy- however the latest issue bag- the Carinthia Defence 4 has a centre zip, is at least as warm, and is a little lighter and more compact (+ uses a waterproof and breathable fabric). You can see them new on ebay for £80-£100.

I also have a snugpak Elite 3, the old british army artic bag, and a softie 10. the Elite 3 gets most use as it packs down tiny, weighs nothing, and just about keeps me alive year round combined with a bivibag and a sleeka jacket. The Carinthia is the best bag when you don't want to sacrifice comfort though.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Mcairney,

i think it was from here so may have been slightly off on what i paid http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/vango-venom-400.html. it looks like they are currently out of stock but i do remember them being slightly cheaper than on fleabay but not by much sothats also an option.

I used it in the hammock Jan/Feb with a 3/4 inflatable roll mat and a poncho liner and was nice and toasty but that may have just been me.

Cheers, Hamster

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I like the british army one due to the centre zip especially when in a hammock. But on the ground I use a snugpak elite 3 or nanok -25.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Hi all,
Thank you for your replies so far. For some reason the Carinthia Defence 4 completely slipped my mind, I didn't realise it was an army bag. The 30 pound army bag is no longer on my short list due to the bulkiness. I travel in warm countries usually in winter time so the sleeping bag rarely gets used, so the Arctic army bag would have been a nightmare to carry around.

I had a look at the vango 400 and it does seem to pack very small, however a few of the reviewers reckon that its more of a summer, spring, autumn bag than a winter 4. I saw a couple of reviews for the elite 3, one was very comprehensive, he rated the elite as average and is adamant that the bag will not keep you warm at -5.

Like I say I am not planning to be out in very cold temperatures but if I am I need a bag which I definitely know without question that can handle cold temperatures. So at the moment it's a toss up between defence 4 and softie chrysalis, I am veering more towards defence 4 at the moment.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've said it before so I'll say it again. The Dutch/Austrian sleep system from fu-kit.com contains a Defence 4 AND a Tropen... for £70... that's quite a bargain

Beansprout

Tenderfoot
I was looking at the same sleeping bags before xmas too. I am a super cold sleeper so I needed a really warm sleeping bag. I rang up snugpak to get some advice and I eventually got the softie exped for £70something from.. er.. go outdoors... or er... something ^^ With the snugpak ones, there's a expandable zip, which I still love. The insides are silk-like, which is really comfy. It's a big sleeping bag but it does pack down to a reasonable size for a 5 season/exped sleeping bag. Get the snugpak, or give them a ring- they're lovely people!

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I've just had a look at your very comprehensive review Spandit, it's a bargain alright but at 4.5 kilos it's heavier than I would like it to be. There are some new defence 4's selling for between 70 and 100 pound which I think is a good price.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I travel in warm countries usually in winter time so the sleeping bag rarely gets used,

Like I say I am not planning to be out in very cold temperatures but if I am I need a bag which I definitely know without question that can handle cold temperatures.

my advice is to buy a down bag (i find snugpak temp ratings are very optimistic, they're not as warm as they say)

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You want light and reasonably warm? Buy a 2/3 season snugpak and wear a softie (jacket) in bed. Lots of ultra lightweights do this- buy a bag rated for a season LESS than they need and wear a softie or down jacket to bed. If you are hardcore wear the jacket and clothes and buy a bag that only covers your legs! (yes they can be bought!!)

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have all three (elite 3/carinthia/army arctic) the elite 3 dose pack down revatively small but I have been a little chilly on cold nights on the hills while clothed and inside a bivi bag.

the carinthia defense 4 I christened at easter; camping on the hills in sleet and snow, I was toasty and warm just in kegs and T-shirt. I love this bag. it packs down pretty small but not as small as the elite 3.

Army arctic bag is just as warm as the carinthia but is massive and doesn't really compress and pack down very well.

My opinion is if you are able to spend the money then buy the carinthia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE