Snugpak softie vs British Army sleeping bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've just had a look at your very comprehensive review Spandit, it's a bargain alright but at 4.5 kilos it's heavier than I would like it to be. There are some new defence 4's selling for between 70 and 100 pound which I think is a good price.

So you'd pay the same money for the same bag but miss out on the Tropen, which is a very compact summer bag? The weight I quoted was for both bags together (in stuff sack) - the Defence 4 is going to be the same weight regardless and once you've slept in it once, it's second hand anyway...

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
So you'd pay the same money for the same bag but miss out on the Tropen, which is a very compact summer bag? The weight I quoted was for both bags together (in stuff sack) - the Defence 4 is going to be the same weight regardless and once you've slept in it once, it's second hand anyway...

I suppose when you put it like that. I've seen some Dutch bags on eBay for around 40 pounds I dont think they are exactly the same one, but I think from what I read it's highly rated

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Another vote for the Defence 4 , it's a superb sleeping bag for the money and there are some about for between £50 -100 on eBay at present

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I had a tesco lightweight sleeping bag for around a tenner, it may well be the same one as yours and did me fine for a year. Packed down tiny and weighed less than a kilo. However I upgraded this 10 days ago for a Softie 3 which packs down almost as small, under a kilo and the quality difference is immense. It doesn't provide much comfort in the way of cushioning but it handles 2c+ just fine. I wouldn't have wanted to go any lower than that though.

The british army one I have not used, I have an ancient German issue army bag with sleeves but it is HUGE and I use it for novelty value only! ;-)

The Softie 3 was a great buy for me, light, small, warm over 3c. I can see me in it still in 10 years if the stitching holds up

I am looking to replace my 10 pound tesco sleeping bag and having considered the marmot wave 4 and aycucho solar 300 range, I've narrowed it down to the snugpak softie range and the British army sleeping bag.

The main advantage of the snugkpak is that it packs down small. The British army sleeping bag only costs only 30 pounds on ebay and the only thing I have seen said negative about it, is that it is heavy and bulky. I think the weight of the bag is about 2 kilos which I don't think is too much. So it's only the bulkiness that concerns me because I would like to fit into a 50 litre pack.

I am after some more opinions before I make my final decision.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I had a tesco lightweight sleeping bag for around a tenner, it may well be the same one as yours and did me fine for a year. Packed down tiny and weighed less than a kilo. However I upgraded this 10 days ago for a Softie 3 which packs down almost as small, under a kilo and the quality difference is immense. It doesn't provide much comfort in the way of cushioning but it handles 2c+ just fine. I wouldn't have wanted to go any lower than that though.

The british army one I have not used, I have an ancient German issue army bag with sleeves but it is HUGE and I use it for novelty value only! ;-)

The Softie 3 was a great buy for me, light, small, warm over 3c. I can see me in it still in 10 years if the stitching holds up

It probably was and I am really upgrading the Tesco bag for no other reason than I need a warmer bag for colder conditions. After a lot of mind changing I am probably going to go with the snugpak softie chrysalis expedition bag because of the reasons you stated.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
has any one ever used a sleeping bag liner?
Sea to Summit range, very small, very light weight and increases sleeping bag by approx 15oC+ or one season depending on liner
I have the sea to summit Reactor Thermolite Liner, at 8.4 onces! its stretchy, no zip or hem, soft and warm on the skin very nice!packs down to the size of your hand
I have also the Toaster Fleece Liner not as small to pack but 20 onces! very warm on skin and soft, just like a fleece should be, again stretchy but has a zip all the way down so you can open it up as a blanket i think?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/cat/1

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
has any one ever used a sleeping bag liner?
Sea to Summit range, very small, very light weight and increases sleeping bag by approx 15oC+ or one season depending on liner
I have the sea to summit Reactor Thermolite Liner, at 8.4 onces! its stretchy, no zip or hem, soft and warm on the skin very nice!packs down to the size of your hand
I have also the Toaster Fleece Liner not as small to pack but 20 onces! very warm on skin and soft, just like a fleece should be, again stretchy but has a zip all the way down so you can open it up as a blanket i think?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/cat/1

I am definitely considering getting a fleece liner, it could well be good enough to keep warm for the time being, I don't think I will be getting the sea to summit toaster fleece liner though as that costs 30 pounds.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I've said it before so I'll say it again. The Dutch/Austrian sleep system from fu-kit.com contains a Defence 4 AND a Tropen... for £70... that's quite a bargain

Just sourced a Carinthia-made Dutch milsurp modular sleep system from a seller in Holland after reading your review. Fu-kit no longer have those, but they do have a rather interesting Austrian one with arm zips!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE