Snugpak Sleeping Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Probably not much help when I come to think about it, but I've had a Snugpak Softie 12, for about 17 years and its never let me down yet.
I've used it down to -10 C with an issue bivvy bag and thermarest, although I did need a hat too!
Build quality in particular, is excellent on mine, not sure what they are like these days however.

Larger folk may find them a bit close fitting perhaps.

cheers

R.B.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used the Elite 4 for a good few years, a really good bag which was toasty warm, the only problem was the pack size and weight.

D

Deleted member 7976

I've got the SF1 and SF2 at the moment. They are well made, very warm and pack down very small (apologies for the contradiction Shewie, just my view). I have a couple of Ray Mears bags of similar warmth and the pack size is huge in comparison. So yes, I'm a big fan of their bags and think they are underrated.

The only concern I would have is what temperature you will be "sleeping" in. The bag you've linked is comfort 0 and Low -7 and described by Snugpak as 2 season. If you plan to be spending winter nights at -5 I would get something warmer, probably Softie 9 minimum. The low figure is what you will stay alive at, not what you will get a good nights sleep at.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They are well made, very warm and pack down very small (apologies for the contradiction Shewie, just my view).

No need to apologise mate, I think going from the Elite 4 to a down bag probably gave me the impression that it was huge. When I packed it along with the Snugpak underblanket that was nearly half of my Sabre 75 taken up.
Some folk have issues with Snugpaks ratings but personally I think they're really nice bits of kit.

EdS

used a few Snugpak bags. Just got rid of a Black on Black 3 as was (it was the last batch of trial bags for the black range). Rated down to -5C used with a silk liner I used it in Scotish winters camping up by the CIC hut.

Only got rid of it as I had too many bags, that crossed over temp ranges.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Consider this one- keep open if a bit too warm but if it cools you'll be glad of it-
Used in conjuntion with this and a Rab silk liner all on a Thermorest proLite plus mat.
"any twit can be uncomfortable" ..... I never forgot that quote from our CSM. (polite version!):eek:
Easier to cool off if too warm but not so easy to warm up if you're cold/tired/wet/not fed etc
Toasty:camping:

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have an elite 3, i sleep warm and have only used it a couple of times but have always had to use the expanda system as its very snug when zipped up fully, im 6'2 for an idea, and not big built, just average. getting on well with it but i personally think it is a bit on the large size when compressed.

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
As I said on other thread I started I'm heading to London next week for 2 nights/3 days and I'm going to make the short 30 minute journey to Crew Hill Railway Station to Buy some kit at Bushcracft Store so, other stores are out of question this time. I'm doing this because ordering things to Portugal isn't too expensive but the postage costs are an outrage!

i have an elite 3, i sleep warm and have only used it a couple of times but have always had to use the expanda system as its very snug when zipped up fully, im 6'2 for an idea, and not big built, just average. getting on well with it but i personally think it is a bit on the large size when compressed.

Now that's some information I loved to hear. :)

I'm shorter than you so I think that will do the job. As for the Large Size you mention for what I've seen, it isn't so large compared to my other sleeping bag. Plus I discovered that it has Reflectatherm so I think that's going to be my next sleeping bag.:D

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
cool mate, glad i was of some help. they are top quality, though i think all the elites are made in the far east and the others in this country, but thats just an ethics thing i suppose. the bag is well made and will no doubt last for ages, the zip is a bit snaggy some times but i can live with that. i have an elite softie jacket and its the bomb, excellent kit and am renewing it this winter with the same. mines done 5 years now no issues. i've also had 2 of their rucksacks and they are also well made. good company.

As I said on other thread I started I'm heading to London next week for 2 nights/3 days and I'm going to make the short 30 minute journey to Crew Hill Railway Station to Buy some kit at Bushcracft Store so, other stores are out of question this time. I'm doing this because ordering things to Portugal isn't too expensive but the postage costs are an outrage!

Now that's some information I loved to hear. :)

I'm shorter than you so I think that will do the job. As for the Large Size you mention for what I've seen, it isn't so large compared to my other sleeping bag. Plus I discovered that it has Reflectatherm so I think that's going to be my next sleeping bag.:D

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I also have an Elite 3 which I have had for 2 years and I love it.

I bought the Elite as it was the same as the equivalent Softie, except it didn't have Reflectarn at the time, but it was a lot cheaper, so I was able to buy a silk sleeping bag liner and have more options for the same money as the Softie.

Cheers

Phill

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've had a softie and I cannot say I was the impressed with it TBH.

I found the finish of the bag was pretty poor.. However tis horses for courses....

There 'used' to be a bunch of opinion on Snugpack's sleeping bags over on Wiggy's site.

Wiggy himself was not shy of giving a very blunt opinion on synthetic sleeping bags and the insulation they used.( especially his competitors) For a long time he had a lot of negative opinion on Snugpak stuff in his monthly newsletters...

However it seems from reading lately Snugpak took him to court and now all of it is gone..

http://www.wiggys.com/ has a lot of info on synthetic sleeping bag insulation etc (all from one view point).

HTH

John

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I have a Softie 10......too warm for anything other than chilly autumn onwards. I am quite a big bloke and find it a bit narrow at the chest and shoulders. I will definitely buy Snugpak again, but may go for the SF models just for the extra width. I must agree with the point about the finish not being up to scratch though; the pertex nylon gets 'fluffy' quite quickly, but I.ve been using mine regularly for 7 years now.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I have a Sleeper extreme and love it to bits. Very warm and soft and packs down small for it's size. Yes it's a bit close (I have a 54" chest and can still roll over insiide it, I'm 5'8" so the better part of 7' length isn't an issue). I find that it's nice warm when it's cold, I just unzip it when its warmer. I'd be happy to get another one.

Edit: http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/snugpak-sleeper-extreme-sleeping-bag-311-p.asp thats the one I got, just not from there and it was £10 more.

Last edited:

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Had a Hawk 9 for 6/7 years now, decent kit but the last year has seen it relegated to sleeping indoors/blanket/stashed in the car just in case-type use only, since I think I washed it so many times it's lost it's warmth and is falling apart in a few places.

If you get one, get a liner or something, that should help you avoid the pitfalls of mine.

I wouldn't go Snugpak again for a cold weather/winter bag but for summer/warm climate use I think you would be fine with this make - I was (too) warm in Ecuador but (a bit) chilly in Iceland in mine (although the bag was getting on a bit by the time it got to Iceland). I'm more impressed with my US issue modular sleep system and I want to give a proper down bag a go, but there again it's a weight/warmth tradeoff isn't it.

EdS

There 'used' to be a bunch of opinion on Snugpack's sleeping bags over on Wiggy's site.

Wiggy himself was not shy of giving a very blunt opinion on synthetic sleeping bags and the insulation they used.( especially his competitors) For a long time he had a lot of negative opinion on Snugpak stuff in his monthly newsletters...

However it seems from reading lately Snugpak took him to court and now all of it is gone..

http://www.wiggys.com/ has a lot of info on synthetic sleeping bag insulation etc (all from one view point).

HTH

John

Pity he doesn't know the differnece between insulation and insulator, the news letter - pretty shocking really. His gear is supposed to be good though.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Pity he doesn't know the differnece between insulation and insulator, the news letter - pretty shocking really. His gear is supposed to be good though.

Yes the sleeping bags he produces do get good feedback.

If I was in the market for a new Synthetic Sleeping bag I'd probably give one a go. But the freight to NZ would be a killer I suspect...

I think his opinions on stuff are also well known. He definately had a low opinion of snugpak stuff.

My personal opinion with insulation / insualtor aside is he seems to know what he's talking about if you can cut through all of the posturing, This is seemingly bourne out in the product he makes and sells.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
From Wiggy's website:

In connection with Snugpak Limited Company’s defamation lawsuit against Wiggy’s Inc. and Jerry Wigutow, in Broward County Circuit Court, we are informing you that the matter has been amicably settled and we have withdrawn all references to Snugpak. Wiggy’s apologizes to Snugpak for any inaccurate information which appeared on the website or for any harm any such inaccurate information may have caused.

Back to Snugpak, I have a Softie 6. I like the build quality and the small weight and pack size, although down will pack smaller of course. For me, the Softie 6 is borderline ok down to zero in a tent, and is very comfortable at +5.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE