Snugpak Response Pak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
This is my first review so be gentle.

After seeing Raikey with one of these hung under his tarp I thought they were a great idea to store your essentials and also thought they could be used as a smaller 'wander' bag.

I bought mine from www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/ (just a happy customer) for £14.95 in olive green (also available in black). At this price I thought it was very reasonable, and coupled with the other bits I bought from there I thought the postage was a steal.

2 days later it arrived and like everything, I need it now yet when it comes I don't use it straight away. Isn't that always the way?

Bag Specifics
Weight: 440 grams
Size: 36 x 14 x 22 cm (L x W x H)
Fabric: 600D / PVC Polyester Ripstop

I loaded it up with everything that I thought I would use over a standard walk with the pooch and still had loads of space. So I loaded a bit more and this is what I came up with.

Front:
P1000081.JPG

Back with waist strap in view:
P1000082.JPG

Open Pockets:
P1000084.JPG

Contents (as listed below):
P1000085.JPG

Bottle Lashing Straps:
SnugpakReview250111

Show of Space Left:
SnugpakReview250111

Contents:

Left pouch:
Stainless cup
2x whitener
2x Traditional English
Cartridge of matches
Tea light in tin
2x sugar
Alcohol penny stove & lighting plate

Right pouch:
Personal first aid kit

Front pouch:
Camera
Digital thermometer
12hr snap light
Silva Field 7
Phone

Main pouch:
Head torch
Oatmeal block
2x hot chocolate
2x whitener
Soup powder
Clipper in Kydex with fire steel
AA Maglite with Terralux Cree upgrade
Mora 162 (sheath to make)
Carving knife (I can't remember the make - sheath to make)
Altoids tin of charcloth
Altoids tin PSK - Puritabs, firesteel, mini snap light, wire saw, SAK
2x meths containers.

Also a 1l alu water bottle attached to the bottom

Even with this little lot in there this is still boat loads of room, enough to get sandwiches etc in. In addition to this there are quite a substantial amount of lashing loops to attach other this to the bag or simply to wrap the dog's lead around.

The bag itself fits very well with the front at belt height and the back obviously slouching down a bit but still very comfortable. The waist belt can be tucked away securely so that you can attach the bag to a larger one should you require.

The lashings for the water bottle have been made with 1.5m of parachord, a monkeys fist tied in the middle and a square knot tied at the end. This is then passed through the bottle loops, around the bottle and the monkeys fist works like a button against the square knot.

I have given every part I can a good pull on to see what the stitching is like and everything seems to be pretty tight and hopefully wont come away any time soon. Only the test of time will show how this bag holds up but initial impressions are that its £15.00 well spent.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Excellent review Rich,....

i do as you do,...i load it out for a day in the fields, little quick brew kit, etc,...

when having an overnighter or more i hang it around my NI patrol pack,...

then when i,m set its on the ridgeline with everything at hand,...

i just got sick of rummaging in the main pack for smaller bits,....

plus its always in the car too, or at least within reach,...

i,m planning on doing an overnighter with the contents in the spring in my local woods,....(i have a poncho rolled up underneath)

i'll put the contents of mine on this thread too when i get time,..

Stu

FordPrefect

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen
Nice review. I never tire of seeing what other people put in theirs!
Isn't that bottle inclined to slip out of the loops?
I used mine as a handlebar bag on my bicycle for a while. The belt loops go round the bars (just) with the bag facing you, if you see what I mean. It's a bit of a pain to get the snaps snapped if you fill the bag too much, but it worked well enough.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks for the feedback guys. Im not sure if the bottle will fall out when the water is in and sloshing around, its on pretty tight but Im sure if it slips Ill come up with another bit of man knitting to hold it in place

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Can't you fix a sleeve type bottle pocket to the straps that run underneath.

I know Maxp do one http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/maxpedition/bottle-holder.html but expensive.
Must be another avaliable elsewhere.

Great review by the way

Thanks, I expect so, so it would be an option. May way was simply because I had parachord and a spare 5 minutes so I knocked them up. Hopefully Ill get to see if it falls at the weekend

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Nice review.

A couple of things that come to mind..

Ive got both those torches. The head one didnt travel well as the ends of the body kept working loose and it eventually broke a wire. The black one kept turning itself on and always had a flat battery. Never did have enough sense to take the batteries out until I needed it.

Seeing your map compass reminded me Ive lost my map. I need to get another.

Your bottle..
Have you considered velcro? you can get self adhesive velcro that would stick to your bottle. A strip through your bag loops would secure it and stop it moving until you need it to. Ive been using velcro like this to keep my gps on a piece of wood fixed to the middle of my boat. Its even stood up to salt water.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks, I know the head torch is just a cheapy, hopefully it'll be getting replaced with a petzl tikka 2 soon.

Velcro is a great idea for the bottle. Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE