Snugpak Response Pak alternative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
So I've been using the Snugpak Response Pak as a day pack for a while and am getting a bit tired of the beyond awful construction and overall quality of it. The stitching is falling out all over the place.

I've searched down two other alternatives and want to switch, one by highlander and one by a company called MFH.

http://www.highlander-pro-force.com/partnumber.asp?cid=29734&pnid=302655

http://www.military1st.co.uk/30703b-hip-and-shoulder-bag-olive.html

Does anyone have experience with either of these? There are a few things I want to find out:

- Is the Highlander bag actually the horrible vomit green it's shown as in all its pictures?
- Which one is more heavy duty?
- What is the stitching and overall construction quality like on them?

Also, I was thinking of getting a Rocket Pak as my new weekender rucksack but after this I'm thinking of avoiding Snugpak for good. What is everyone else's experience with them? Have I just got a duff?

Basically I'd like to get Maxpedition quality without selling my kidneys. I can see myself just buying a Maxpedition Proteus and slicing off the labels, but I hope I don't have to because of the cost.

Hope you can help!

Smith :approve:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a response oack and never used it. I bought a Maxpedition jumbo s versipack and it does everything and more that i needof it. Can easily fit everything in for a bimble out and about with room to spare. I even fit my ipad in without sacrificing other bits i might need.

Well worth the extra money and better still if you can get a second hand one at the right price.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have a response oack and never used it. I bought a Maxpedition jumbo s versipack and it does everything and more that i needof it. Can easily fit everything in for a bimble out and about with room to spare. I even fit my ipad in without sacrificing other bits i might need.

Well worth the extra money and better still if you can get a second hand one at the right price.

What a great idea! (shameless plug => I have one for sale in a separate thread!)

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Why not just get the pack they all ripped off:

The Maxpedition Proteus

If you don't like the quality of the rip off, buying other rip offs at the same price point, likely won't improve the quality.

Read my post. :rolleyes: That said, I mostly agree with your logic but there's no reason the other companies can't be making a better quality product than Snugpak just because Snugpak did it first. In theory it's just as logical to say that the rip offs get better as time progresses. Aaaaaaaanywayy.

It's my first experience with Snugpak so I don't know.. they may just be a crappy company.

Aye, I'm swaying more and more towards going the whole hog and getting a Proteus. It's crazy, some people want all the awesome expensive gear to look cool; I'd rather not have it ALL because I don't want to look like a twerp decked out in Gucci.

Edit - Humpback, what is it you are selling? A Versipack?

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The problems with the snugpak bag is too many people overload them and the stitching goes on them.
Personally i cant get along with something strapped around my waist( being a fat git dont help) i much prefere to take the load on my shoulder and can swap from side to side.

All the Max p gear is made to last a lifetime not just for the pose factor.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I had one but had no issues with the quality at all.Just didn't like the design/style-but plenty of others do, so that's personal choice
It might be worth dropping them an e mail you never know;or reinforce the stitching yourself
I would guess the similar bags except the sexy Max P will not be any better than a Snugpak
Personally as a day bag I wouldn't use a shoulder/bum bag ,why not try a small good quality dedicated back pack?

Last edited:

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I had one but had no issues with the quality at all.Just didn't like the design/style-but plenty of others do, so that's personal choice
It might be worth dropping them an e mail you never know;or reinforce the stitching yourself
I would guess the similar bags except the sexy Max P will not be any better than a Snugpak
Personally as a day bag I wouldn't use a shoulder/bum bag ,why not try a small good quality dedicated back pack?
Thanks for the post man. I was going to try re stitching but it's a hell of a lot that needs doing. Also I don't use it as a bum bag, I have modded mine to wear over the shoulder, can't get on with bum bags.

Would you have any suggestions for a good little daypack? I've searched around but nothing's really taken my fancy..

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Suggestions for a small backpack
Depends on size? The Camelak Mule is what I have as a small fast and light walking and cycling bag http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Mule.aspx

I would look at the highlander smaller packs http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...=aps&hvadid=8326490446&ref=pd_sl_6t5os9jsdf_b
There are a couple of very well priced small packs on there

Bit bigger and you may consider a sabre 35 http://www.ronniesunshines.com/index.php/karrimor-sabre-36.html

Berghaus and Jack Wolfskin are also worth a look but again pricey

and again Max P if you are ready to commit; but if you don't like it they do hold their price

Money no object then this is the baby for you http://kifaru.net/daystalker.html that is eyewatering

Hope that helps I would also check out charity shops. e bay and military surplus

Last edited:
If you want quality you generally need to pay for it. If companies are unscrupulous enough to rip off another companies design, they probably also lack the scruples to produce a quality product. Buying one cheap item and then taking a chance with another cheap item, and possibly having to take another chance later with another cheap item, just seems like the pinnacle of false economy. Buy quality once, cry once. Buy cheap, buy twice. All that stuff. Cheap may be fine for some things, but stuff you’re actually serious about, and stuff that your life may actually depend on, isn't very wise.

And needing to sell a kidney for Maxpedition gear? Dude, please...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Why not just get the pack they all ripped off:

The Maxpedition Proteus

If you don't like the quality of the rip off, buying other rip offs at the same price point, likely won't improve the quality.

Read my post. :rolleyes: That said, I mostly agree with your logic but there's no reason the other companies can't be making a better quality product than Snugpak

I think you need to understand 'exploriments' point.

The snugpak response pack is a pretty much direct copy of the maxpedition proteus. But the maxpedition is far better built and constructed..

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I can afford my house, my car, my kids etc

Can't afford, or justify the cost of maxpedition kit

I think the poster is similar to me, wants reasonable quality at a reasonable price.

Not everyone buys a lambo when a ford does all they need :)

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I had a snugpak response pack, I quite liked the idea but there were a few problems. The buckle on mine would snap open when any load was on it like running or even breathing some times. After it dumped my DSLR on the floor that was the end of it tbh but I was stuck on holiday with it as a manbag so I had to deal with it a little longer. I dodn't like it as a bum bag because when full its was too big. I wore it over the shoulder most of the time which was OK but it didnt sit very well. When I got back I was looking to swap but stick with a similar manbag idea. I like maxP stuff but it is pricey, but I also have 5.11 back packs which I really like and are a bit cheaper. I got a 5.11 PUSH pack in the end for approx £45 from HH and it is ferfect for what I want. I'm not saying I wouldnt get Maxp equiv but this was much cheaper, excellent build quality and does the job well. Look them up on EDCforums.com.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
It's a crazy old world when someone suggests Highlander as a better quality alternative to Snugpak.

Couldn't agree more!

I have a Snugpak one and my issue was it doesnt sit well on the shoulder, and I can't carry it round the waist as it pops open randomly- its used to keep items out of the way at home or on travels etc.

I also have a MaxP Jumbo Versipack and pretty happy with it. It doesn't get used too much just now but it's quality is WAY above anything else I have seen or used.

KP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE