Snugpak Response Pak alternative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I can afford my house, my car, my kids etc

Can't afford, or justify the cost of maxpedition kit

I think the poster is similar to me, wants reasonable quality at a reasonable price.

Not everyone buys a lambo when a ford does all they need :)

Thank you my man. :)

I will be the first person to say you get what you pay for and that it is often worth going with the pricier option to get a safe bet; on the other hand sometimes you CAN get just as good quality for a lower price - sometimes better - Surefire torches come to mind, Gucci handbags, in fact most womens apparel would go under the 'unnecessarily overpriced' category I think. All I'm trying to flippin' do is find out if this is one of those occasions. I don't have previous experience with Snugpak, nor with MFH or Highlander.

I get the feeling I'm being trolled so I will leave it at that..

Been a long day. Thanks for all the helpful posts chaps.

And needing to sell a kidney for Maxpedition gear? Dude, please...

It's called satire.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Your not being trolled, at least not from me, what I m getting at is that is it better to make do than save a little more for better quality, with packs I don't think you will ever get better or equal quality for large reduction in price, BUT, I do think you can tailor you expectations of a packs durability to how you would use it, if its gonna need to last very well in very harsh conidtions then pay the higher price, but if its occasional use not heavy loads over long distances then a cheap in price pak will be more suited, no poit paying for durabilty your not going to need, just o add the one mfh canvas pack I had was well put together, I have never heard a single good thing about higlander kit just things like zips breaking stitcing being loose, but hey ho.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am realy suprised with the posts about failures with Snugpak gear.
I have used multiple bits of kit (inc their Response) over the years and the only "failure" I have experienced is when a badly packed trailer we were carrying the expedition kit in abradeed through the fabric of the lid of the Bergan I was using... but contact with a wheel for multiple miles will do that to kit!
Personally I have found their gear all up to serious expedition work around the globe and it has often been my kit of choice over many bigger name companies kit.
As I review kit for a living price does not come into it too much and I have a lot of choice in what I choose to use for "fun" rather than just for the reviewing period "work" trips.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
This is not intended to be personal but what I don't get is why people just put up with it or complain in places like this. Maybe I am a grumpy old tight fist but if I am not happy I want my money back or redress which means the retailer or manufacturer needs to know via a polite, factual and objective complaint.

Only once have I ended up so cross I resorted to Facebook and even then I hope I was objective. Result was manufacturer took over the problem from the retailer and sorted it in hours. I have had some fantastically good out of warranty responses from various companies.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thank you my man. :)

I will be the first person to say you get what you pay for and that it is often worth going with the pricier option to get a safe bet; on the other hand sometimes you CAN get just as good quality for a lower price - sometimes better - Surefire torches come to mind, Gucci handbags, in fact most womens apparel would go under the 'unnecessarily overpriced' category I think. All I'm trying to flippin' do is find out if this is one of those occasions. I don't have previous experience with Snugpak, nor with MFH or Highlander.

I get the feeling I'm being trolled so I will leave it at that..

Been a long day. Thanks for all the helpful posts chaps.

It's called satire.

No trolling as far as I can see

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
i have 3 pieces of snug pak gear a response pak, a bergan and the under quilt now ive never tested them in a war zone or been on safari in africa for a few months living in the bush but my stuff has been spot on maybe ive been lucky but my response pak has been used every time i go out and its stuffed with a hexi stove, steal cooking mug, folding saw,knife, fire starting kit plus brew kit and its held up fine maybe i've just been lucky :)

like john says im shocked and if any one should know about good gear its john ;)

like whats already been said if people have problems they should contact snugpak im sure they will sort it

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Mine definately doesnt look like its going to fall apart, infact I really like it in a lot of ways but my buckle is definately badly specced. I don't know if that has changed over time. I use it now as a backup bag in the car with loads of stuff in it. Perfect for that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE