Snugpak Merlin (softie 3) sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Just spotted some on internet and they look like they have an incredibly small pack size; so would be great for my bergen saving me space and weight.

Are these any good? Anyone used them?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just spotted some on internet and they look like they have an incredibly small pack size; so would be great for my bergen saving me space and weight.

Are these any good? Anyone used them?

Yes, I have 1 and they do pack up that small but I found Snugpack are somewhat optimistic about their rating system.

If I remember rightly they say you're supposed to be an average weight male about 24 years old, wearing a base layer, sleeping in a tent with a similar companion to get the right rating.

hornbyben

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 13, 2008
Sydney
They're good for the summer (i.e. above about 10ºC), but if you want to go lower than that then IMHO you're better off spending a bit more and getting a nice down sleeping bag, which will be lighter, pack as small and last a lot longer.

They're good for the summer (i.e. above about 10ºC), but if you want to go lower than that then IMHO you're better off spending a bit more and getting a nice down sleeping bag, which will be lighter, pack as small and last a lot longer.

exactly the temperature range i had in mind; + i need it for the tropics(=hot and humid) where downs are less suitable as they tend to rot easier

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
It's ok if you're in a tent but i wouldn't recommend sleeping in one, even in a bivi, out in the open. Material is pretty easyily ripped aswell. Had one and used it on ex - once, never again.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Good summer bag In my opinion, Ive used mine a fair bit and been pleased with it. The only down side is I find them small and a tad restrictive but then thats the same most bags.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Here in Australia they used to be advertised as a -5C bag, then the rating was changed to 0C. Wouldn't be suprised if it is now +5C. Very thin bag.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
exactly the temperature range i had in mind; + i need it for the tropics(=hot and humid) where downs are less suitable as they tend to rot easier

My girlfriend is currently in central america using one that she got for a tenner! I'll ask her how its performing when I next speak to her.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Yes, I have 1 and they do pack up that small but I found Snugpack are somewhat optimistic about their rating system.

If I remember rightly they say you're supposed to be an average weight male about 24 years old, wearing a base layer, sleeping in a tent with a similar companion to get the right rating.

As above, but i have a silk liner that works really well with it or a fleece liner, HH pro wool base layers as jim-jams :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE