Snugpak Elite 4 - Softie 18 - Nanok -10C

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 31, 2007
Hi there all,

There seems to be so much choice around in the way of sleeping bags and I have no idea whats gonna work. What would peoples top choice be out of:

Snugpak Elite 4 at about 80 quid, Snugpak Softie 18 Antarctica at about 70 quid, or a Nanok -10C Endurance at about 60 quid.

Use for Autumn, Winter and Spring sleeping under a tarp, in a tent and in a hammock. Not going to carry it too far.

Any thoughts and comments from those that have used these bags or read reviews would be greatly received. Cheers.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The Nanok, from that line up. Although, I must add that I've not had personal experience of any of those. My opinion is solely based on what I've read about them and also I've used a couple of Snugpak bags in the past. Just to confuse things further, I'd also consider a down bag from Alpkit.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Having used all three of that list i would opt for the Nanok everytime!

Reasons?

1) The Snugpaks were too close fitting and constrictive.

2) The ratings on Snugpaks are a little 'optimistic'.

3) The Nanok has entry zips down both sides to allow ventilation.

4) The Nanok has a neck baffle.

5) I found the Snugpak zip's used to snag quite a lot and at the most in opportune moments.

I am 5'8" tall on a good day and have a 44 to 46" chest. This should give you a comparison size for the Snugpak's being too constrictive, and i should mention that i tend to sleep hot. Even then, the Snugpaks did not really cut the mustard.

If buying the Nanok, try to get hold of a larger stuff sack as the one that comes with it is a little snug!

Just my opinion and experience, not trying to force it on anyone else, but there you go.:D

Oct 31, 2007
Thanks for the info and the pictures. I'm not too worried about size and weight so the Nanok it is then. (Can't quite stretch to the Aplkit bag just yet although I take the point and they do look good.) Anyone know if there is anywhere selling the Nanok -10 for less than £59.99 ? (Although that seems very reasonable to me!)

Cheers all.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Last I heard Nanok were pulling out of the UK market.

I remember Genuine Army Surplus had them at a good price a while back as a friend and I bought five between us :D

S orry I can't be more help :eek:

Andy

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Nanok -10 has performed very well since I got one; in my opinion much better than a snugpak that i had.

Amazing value for money :)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I use the Nanok -10 in winter and the snugpak elite 3 at all other times, the Nanok is certainly warmer and roomier around the chest but it is also heavier and does not pack down as small as the snugpak.

I'm sad to hear that Nanok are not going to be available in the UK anymore, I bought my bag and a couple of Nanok jackets from Genuine Army Surplus.

Oct 31, 2007
Thanks to all for the info and the help. John Bull Surplus seemed to be the cheapest and I have just ordered a bag from them. I look forward to my first night out in the woods in it.

Cheers. Mike.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I was going to say go with John Bull, but seems you already did. They were ultra quick when I ordered from them.

Oct 31, 2007
Ordered it this morning and they say it will be here Wednesday morning. Pretty good I reckon.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I remember when outdoorcode did a really good deal on the Nanok bags,I forget which bags they were but one fit inside the other! Wish I bought meself a pair now!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the Nanok here :D It's big but it's comfortable, snug if needed or easily opened to get out or just to cool off a bit.

cheers,
Toddy

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
If you can get one I recommend the nanok endurance -10 . Mine has served me well over the past 18 months in all temps . Roomy and easy to get in and out . The one piece of kit I couldnt do without :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE