SnugPak bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scrimmy

Forager
Mar 11, 2008
Whitley Bay
www.freewebs.com
I'm after a lighter/ small packed bag, as i have my dads ex marines down bag, which is huge, its great for winter camps but fills alot of space in my rucksack when i'm off hiking, just looking for a lighter bag, seen the SnugPak bags like the look and quality of the Harrier, Osprey, hawk and Special Forces bags, anyone have any and whata re they like? Cheers Cain

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like Snugpak - I have found all their gear good quality, reasonable pack sizes and a fair price,though some folk find their temp ratings a bit hopeful. Personally I sleep warm and find their ratings spot on.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The SF1 is a nice little bag, packs down pretty small too, taking up about half a PLCE side pouch. The ratings are a little on the optimistic side for some, but more or less right for me.

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
i have the thicker of the two special forces bags (softie 10) and its a fantastic bag, doesnt take up the room that the issue down bag does which i also have, you cant go wrong with snugpak bags, just add a couple of degrees to the ratings as mentioned there not spot on but not far off either!!

Enjoy!!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Well, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I don't get on with Snugpak bags at all. Woefully optimistic temperature ratings (you need to add more like 5-10°C IMO) and fiddly, catchy zips. Obviously they suit some people, and I'm not disputing their experience, but this is mine. I still have a Snugpak Chrysalis Micro which I use in high summer, as it's very small and light. That's supposed to have a comfort rating of 0°C though IIRC.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I've been using snugpack for years and really like them. I started off with one of their first bags in the late 80's (Softie 9 I think) and have used and abused the 6,9,10 and 12 range of bags.
Currently have a 6, 10 and a pair of 12's. The 10 is getting on a bit now, did Bosnia tour a few years ago and started the summer with my old 9. as the weather got colder I bought a 10 and combined the 2 for a winter bag. The coldest night we had was about -27 and the bags worked fine in a canvas command post tent with nothing but a Tilley lamp for light and heat. I was on a US cot with a thermarest and in a bivvi bag but the temp was well below 0 on a regular basis. If you have the money then a 6 and a 9 or 10 are the solution for a very versatile system indeed. They come up fairly narrow but I find that it makes the bags warmer, it is possible to buy an extra section for the larger frame.
They were not too expensive as I recall and took a lot of abuse but as has been said, temp rating can be a little optimistic for some people although I have never had a problem.
My better half and I bought the 12's for normal holidays a few years ago and they are still going strong. We store them loose when not in use to protect the loft of the filling. I find the 12 too warm and usually revert to my old 10 which is fine for all but winter camping, I have a RAB down bag for that.
Not sure how much they cost these days but hundreds of squaddies can't be wrong!

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
I've been using snugpack for years and really like them. I started off with one of their first bags in the late 80's (Softie 9 I think) and have used and abused the 6,9,10 and 12 range of bags.
Currently have a 6, 10 and a pair of 12's. The 10 is getting on a bit now, did Bosnia tour a few years ago and started the summer with my old 9. as the weather got colder I bought a 10 and combined the 2 for a winter bag. The coldest night we had was about -27 and the bags worked fine in a canvas command post tent with nothing but a Tilley lamp for light and heat. I was on a US cot with a thermarest and in a bivvi bag but the temp was well below 0 on a regular basis. If you have the money then a 6 and a 9 or 10 are the solution for a very versatile system indeed. They come up fairly narrow but I find that it makes the bags warmer, it is possible to buy an extra section for the larger frame.
They were not too expensive as I recall and took a lot of abuse but as has been said, temp rating can be a little optimistic for some people although I have never had a problem.
My better half and I bought the 12's for normal holidays a few years ago and they are still going strong. We store them loose when not in use to protect the loft of the filling. I find the 12 too warm and usually revert to my old 10 which is fine for all but winter camping, I have a RAB down bag for that.
Not sure how much they cost these days but hundreds of squaddies can't be wrong!

I agree, with all the above, the missus was complaining about being cold in about -2 but i let her use my softie specials forces and that was that, she just wants a pink one now :twak: Been using them since ive been in the forces and will never change!

Jim

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I have a softie snugpac something or other in green, a three season bag. It's alright I suppose, never been cold in it, never been too warm either. However I doubt it will see much more use as I have a mountain equipment snowline which is about the same weight and far better in terms of comfort.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've not had any problems with temp ratings, i used to use a No 7 (Merlin i think). The fact that i 'Used to use' it is because i found it a little constrictive. I've got a 44" chest and quite broad shoulders, not excessivly so, but i found i felt quite claustraphobic in it. I understand that a bag should be reasonably close fitting, but i had to ditch mine. I'm using a Nanok -10 (Synthetic) for cold weather and a Fjallraven Distance P5 (Down) for warmer weather and a combination of the two for Welsh weather! :eek: Other than that, i have no issues with Snugpak gear.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I've got one of their 'Navigator' budget-line bags. Don't get it unless you're going somewhere quite warm. Spent a month in it in a tent last summer. With a wool blanket and clothes, it was barely adequate. SWMBO offloaded hers on eBay. Sensible girl. Got a PLCE one for Christmas. Bigger, but much better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE