Snugpak antartic mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Essieandy

Dec 29, 2023
Scotland
Hello all, has anyone ever used one of the snugpak antartic mats? Thinking of getting one to use in my bivi in conjunction with a savotta foam mat during the winter. Thing is, if it uses the same filling as their sleeping bags does it actually help keep you warm? I thought that when you compress sleeping bag insulation it stops working so what's the difference if it's in a pad? Is it just marketing BS or does it actually work?
Link to pad here-

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I thought that when you compress sleeping bag insulation it stops working so what's the difference if it's in a pad?
It's quite different, because the mat is inflated and thus isn't being flattened to the same extent as a sleeping bag is when laid upon.

Quite a few air pads use synthetic or down insulation. I can't speak for the particular mat in your post, but my Exped mat has insulation inside it and seems to work well (though I don't have the same mat without insulation so can't really say for sure!). It's certainly far warmer than my other Trekology uninsulated air mat that I use in the summer though.

Essieandy

Dec 29, 2023
Scotland
Thanks Hughtrimble, yeah, that's the bit I don't understand - it's not an inflatable mat - it's just sleeping bag insulation.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Thanks Hughtrimble, yeah, that's the bit I don't understand - it's not an inflatable mat - it's just sleeping bag insulation.
Oh I see, sorry I misread the sales page and incorrectly thought it was itself a self-inflating mat. That's interesting then, I'm going to see if there are any YouTube videos on it because I currently don't really understand what it does as that picture of it crumpled up implies it's got very little substance to it!

Essieandy

Dec 29, 2023
Scotland
I've actually just bitten the bullet and bought one off amazon with every intention of using their impeccable returns policy.
As you say it doesn't seem to have much substance. Snugpak are usually pretty reputable so it'd be weird if it was just total BS.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I've actually just bitten the bullet and bought one off amazon with every intention of using their impeccable returns policy.
As you say it doesn't seem to have much substance. Snugpak are usually pretty reputable so it'd be weird if it was just total BS.
Please do report back as it looks really interesting. From videos I've just watched it looks like it's basically a really thin polyester insulated duvet in a shell material, not very matty in that regard in terms of comfort for you lying on it. Hopefully there's more to it when you get it in your hands!

Essieandy

Dec 29, 2023
Scotland
Please do report back as it looks really interesting. From videos I've just watched it looks like it's basically a really thin polyester insulated duvet in a shell material, not very matty in that regard in terms of comfort for you lying on it. Hopefully there's more to it when you get it in your hands!
Well, it arrived and I still don't quite get it. It is as suspected just some sleeping bag insulation in-between quite a tough outer. Certainly not enough padding to use as a sleep pad, can't see that it's sufficient to provide much insulation either. It's also several inches narrower than advertised.
I can see what they're trying to do but too narrow & not enough insulation for me so I've clicked on the amazon return button.

Reactions: hughtrimble

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Well, it arrived and I still don't quite get it. It is as suspected just some sleeping bag insulation in-between quite a tough outer. Certainly not enough padding to use as a sleep pad, can't see that it's sufficient to provide much insulation either. It's also several inches narrower than advertised.
I can see what they're trying to do but too narrow & not enough insulation for me so I've clicked on the amazon return button.
A shame it didn't work out. I don't really understand the reviews of it, what are they on about it in terms of being a sleeping mat! You must need to use it in combination with an actual pad, surely, given what you've received.

Essieandy

Dec 29, 2023
Scotland
Yes, using it in conjunction with my sleeping pad in winter was my plan but I just can't see how it could realistically add any warmth, but hey ho, worth a look.

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
I think its Bull. No R value rating. Also says it lets moisture thru' so IMO any condensation underneath (warm body vs cold ground) will wick thru to your bag. and either way will maybe freeze inside the filling??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE