Snugpak antarctica sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Well...... good morning.... sort of.

Last night I slept in my new Snugpak Antarctica Code Green Softie 18 Sleeping Bag, on the ground and on my Exped Synmat 7DLX sleeping mat.

The bag is rated down to -20C degrees, and as the weather forecast was for as low as -16 degrees I thought I'd give it a try out..... in the back garden in case I needed to chicken out and seek the warmth of the house. Go for it, I thought, dressed in only a T shirt and underpants plus thick socks. I expected to feel too hot in the bag. In the event, I was just right. Plenty warm enough but not too hot, even though I had the hood right up over my head, which was necessary. The bag did a great job of simply regulating my temperature and I didn't sweat up. My nose was cold, and I woke with a sinus ache in my right cheek and eye from the cold, (I slept on my left side), but I was aware of making sure that I breathed outside the bag.

I slept through to 7am, but in a fitful and disturbed sleep. Not because I was cold. Because I was constricted and uncomfortable. OK, I am a little over 15 stones in weight and 6ft 2" tall, but the main problem area in the bag was at the shoulders. It just wasn't big enough. It was extremely tight. Even at the hips it was only just possible to slide one hand between the bag and my skin.

I wanted to sleep longer than 7am as it was still dark. But I gave up due to the discomfort. A few times during the night I had rolled over onto my back..... and off the sleeping mat, which woke me up. There just wasn't room to turn without taking the whole bag with me. I think that if I had been in a hammock I might have rolled it over. There was plenty of room at the legs and feet despite the bag being a mummy shape, and there was room at the waist. But the hips and shoulders, no way. Now, Snugpak also sell a zip in infill expander panel which would have overcome those problems, I think, but I hadn't bought one of those. I will need to.

One of the main reasons I had purchased this bag was the advantage of the full length centre zip. If I was to use it in a hammock, then I wanted the security and balance of being able to get into the hammock with the bag open, and then zip it up around me. That zip. The manufacturers state that it is good for a quick exit if needed, and yes, it does that perfectly. But it was a sod to zip up. Once the zip reached the tightness of the hip area, and then on up to the top it was a real struggle. I made a mental note to add a good lanyard to the inner tag of the zip. By the time I got that zip all the way up I was warming up well..... with the effort. I also made a mental note to pre tighten the head hood in future too. It wasn't at all easy once inside the bag because of the restricted arm and shoulder area, and even when I did get it tightened and I relaxed, I found the cords dangling on my face as I lay on my left side. Eventually I sorted it though, and settled down to sleep.

The packed size of the bag. Its big!

antarctic-sleep1.jpg

When stuffed into its sack and compressed it is a massive 20" long and 12" diameter. (51cm x 30cm). That's a huge 36 litres. (And the best part of 3Kg in weight). In reality, if I put it inside my Karrimor Sabre 75 then there's precious little space for anything else. The Karrimor doesn't have any convenient places to put the bag on top or below either. So the Snugpak Antarctica is a sleeping bag that is for a base camp close to a vehicle, or I need to hire a Sherpa.

I apologise if much of this review sounds negative. But I am writing this after not having had a very good night's sleep. The Snugpak Antarctica Code Green Softie 18 Sleeping Bag is a very good bag, and it does what it claims. But only if you are lightly built person, and don't need to carry it far. I am going to have to spend another £30 on one of those expander panels, or perhaps even two of them. That's on top of the £125 that the bag cost.

Rod

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Im a big bloke and the bag I keep going back to is the Present British Army issue bag like yourself I want the room around my sholders plus I can sleep in my full gear including boots if needed .
Another bag I have is the US Army moduler sleeping system good but not as comfy as the Brit bag .

john wings

Forager
Dec 12, 2004
cornwall
i know how you feel rod;i once had the same problem at the side of the road in glencoe in a fairy down bag that was totally inadequate (being not warm enough) although graded for well below zero;one point,how do you find the exped mat in performance,packing size?

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
the main problem area in the bag was at the shoulders
Wouldn't do for me then as I used to go to a gym when I was younger and went up to a 50" chest. I now have difficulty finding jackets to fit across my shoulders that aren't shaped like a tent.

Nigel.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
Thanks for the review, I've got the special forces 2 and found it to be a good sleeping bag. I got this sleeping bag for the centre zip to make hammocking easier, I find the centre zip snags when trying to do it up due to the very light and thin; I think pertex outer fabric This aspect does my head in!But The bag is warm and drys quickly as I tend to sleep hot and often sweat in the night.I find the bag breathes well, so I don't wake up damp.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Excellent review of an excellent bag.
One point I'd make is that you've missed the point of a mummy bag.They are designed to hug the body to eliminate air pockets leading to cold spots.You are supposed to turn over with the bag and not in it.If you sleep in a square bag then there is room to turn this is because they are not designed to be used in extreme cold like a mummy type bag.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
I know what you mean, and I have used a mummy shaped bag for over 30 years. (The same one! But that one has no zip at all.) But this one is a really tight fit! The tightness also made the closing of the zip almost impossible, because it was really, really hard to use an arm to get the hand in a position in a way to hold the zip! When closed, the bag was a constrictor, and that isn't good. The only way to even fit into it was to hunch the shoulders forwards with a rounded back. That made it very uncomfortable.

Rod

Last edited:

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
.....one point,how do you find the exped mat in performance,packing size?

John, the Exped Synmat 7DLX mat is brilliant! (That is the slightly wider of the two versions.) I like my comfort, and that mat gives it. It packs into a bag 11" tall and 6" diameter (28cm x 15cm) . That's 2.6 litres. It weighs in at about 800g.

I haven't yet tried it in my hamock, although I expect it to perform well there too. Once I have, then I'll do a full review.

Cheers
Rod

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Rod

Definitely get the expander panel though, just make sure you get the right one as they come in a summer version and a winter. Get the correct zip side too :)

About £35 for the Antarctica I think

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I know what you mean, and I have used a mummy shaped bag for over 30 years. (The same one! But that one has no zip at all.) But this one is a really tight fit! The tightness also made the closing of the zip almost impossible, because it was really, really hard to use an arm to get the hand in a position in a way to hold the zip! When closed, the bag was a constrictor, and that isn't good. The only way to even fit into it was to hunch the shoulders forwards with a rounded back. That made it very uncomfortable.

Rod

Yep. I have exactly the same problem.Once you're in and zipped up you cant fault them.I have gone back to the army issue dossbag now.

sensi5446

Forager
Jun 15, 2009
Manchester
Yes... I have figured out that I want the winter one. But the Antarctic has a centre zip, and I'm confused whether I buy a left or right zip panel. Their web site isn't at all clear on that. :confused:

Rod

Great review!

I had the same problem with this bag when I took it wild camping and have put off using it again until I buy a expander panel but again not sure which one to buy???

As with packing, it is quite big but I managed to get it and all my kit for a week wild camping in a 120l bergen and I was on foot

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi Rod, thanks for the review as I was pondering a new sleeping bag - possibly a Snupak. And I'm 15 stone as well (97 kg) and 6 ft!

Have you checked with Snugpak to see if the Expander Panel System would fit your bag? That would solve the width issue for you.
I'd call them, since their site is not always clear about which bags work with this system and which don't.

Whoops, you checked already, my bad.

Last edited:

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
what to little room how can that be cos its huge then a again i am six foot and built like a racing snake who weighs 9.5 stone and is always cosy warm in my antarctic snugpack sleeping bag

:lmao:
A racing snake I am not.

It passed the warmth test with flying colours though, and I was wearing only a T shirt, underpants and socks. I did take a thermometer out with me, but it was a digital one and the battery failed at the low temperature. :rolleyes: However today I checked with my neighbour who has a proper max-min thermometer, and last night the minimum was -12C.

Today I tied in some paracord lanyards to the zips. Much better! Next I'll contact Snugpak to ascertain exactly which expander panel is the correct one.

Cheers
Rod

I'm 19 and a half stone and I bought the same s/bag and expanda bag and have loads of room inside. There is a specific expanda panel made for the antartic. ~You MUST specify this when ordering as most companies don't supply or have them in stock. I got mine from Polmil.

The expanda panel turns the sleeping bag into a double quilt when unzipped so the good lady and I will be using this bag between us from now on aslong as we have good insulation underneath it will be fine. See Ray Jardine for this concept.

Sniper did an awesome review a year or so ago on the same bag.

Top tip, wear a muffler when sleeping out in the cold. They are uncomfortable at first but you can buy them in bike shops. You''ll never see them for sale in outdoor shops except those arctic issue foam masks with facelet masks velcroed on lol. Stick with a bike half mask, they are awesome.WS

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
I'm 19 and a half stone and I bought the same s/bag and expanda bag and have loads of room inside. There is a specific expanda panel made for the antartic. ~You MUST specify this when ordering as most companies don't supply or have them in stock. I got mine from Polmil.

OK.... and thanks. Yes, there is a special expanda panel for the Antarctic only. I had one delivered today from Polmil.

Now to the problem:

How the heck do I get it fitted! :confused:

I can't get the existing zipper toggles off the bottom end of the existing zip. I think that I could by forcing it, perhaps? Without doing that, the new panel isn't going to go on, and even then I am wary that the two zippers (one facing the "wrong" way) would go on to the expander panel zip.

Or am I just missing something here??

Rod

OK.... and thanks. Yes, there is a special expanda panel for the Antarctic only. I had one delivered today from Polmil.

Now to the problem:

How the heck do I get it fitted! :confused:

I can't get the existing zipper toggles off the bottom end of the existing zip. I think that I could by forcing it, perhaps? Without doing that, the new panel isn't going to go on, and even then I am wary that the two zippers (one facing the "wrong" way) would go on to the expander panel zip.

Or am I just missing something here??

Rod

The zips on the antartica bag are very stiff at the bottom and were a real tussle to undo when I got mine. Make sure they are absolutely parallel before undoing and they will come undone. I used some vaseline on my fingers to help it.

The expanda panel was a fickle at first but it's easy to work out, just remember that the zip flaps/baffles are on the Inside of the sleeping bag and once you realise that you'll see that the panel is then the right way up when you zip it in. The zips are easy to zip together except that there's not a lot of room to zip the last side in. Just keep the sides of the zip parallel and you will get them on fine.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll post pics up of mine.
cheers ws

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE