Snugpak and Softie sizing ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

I'm after either one of the issue softie jackets or a snugpack m/cam reversible equivalent and was wondering how they stood up on the sizing, I reckon at a 39" chest I would get away with a small, as I'll only be wearing a lifa or standard t underneath. Anyone have experience of them
smile.png
? And if so do they come up big or small ?

Cheers in Advance, Sp

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I too am a 39" chest and the issue softie jacket I have is a medium, they are quite long hence why I too was tempted to try a small. The guy who had the surplus stall I got it from advised against it and showed me how most people pulled them up and tightened the shock cord. If you loosen the shock cord they are long enough to keep your backside warm. Great bit of kit ! Even the slightly silly looking trousers are very welcome on a cold evening sat around camp. Lovely and warm :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87704

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm a 44", & i got the medium, as i wanted it as a close fit. I posted a link a few weeks ago, about a firm on ebay that is selling unbranded ones for £20 all in, If you check my back posts you should be able to find it easy enough, afraid i don't know how to post a link.

Rob

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
I'm a 44", & i got the medium, as i wanted it as a close fit. I posted a link a few weeks ago, about a firm on ebay that is selling unbranded ones for £20 all in, If you check my back posts you should be able to find it easy enough, afraid i don't know how to post a link.

Rob

Thanks Rob,
They look sound, I was wondering if they are cheaper because they may be the end of a run before the multicam pattern was starting to be produced. Not sure why the RAF examples are cheaper ? Maybe the egg and cress sandwiches wouldn't fit in the pockets ? Here are the links

The Outdoor Knitwear Ebay Posting

The Outdoor Knitwear website

I think a small would seem to be the one for me to go for, although the skin on the bloke in the picture on the OK website does look a bit like it's getting the waxy look that precedes the onset of frosbite :)

308.jpg

Cheers, Sp

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Lol !, i got the medium for my son, they are a good buy, but unlike the issue one i have its got a zip cover on both sides.

The Raf ones are cheaper, as they are only to be worn monday to friday, 9 till 5, when in your hotel room !

Rob

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
i just got my one of these jackets and i have a standard army one.. the army one is med and its huge on me (i'm usually a medium) the one i just recieved is a small and it fits perfectly and as mentioned before they have zip covers both sides.. really great bit of kit.. i got the raf blue and camo... money well spent..

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
i have lived in my british made snugpak sleeka reversible in small for years now. its the dogs. having said that sizing is very strange. in normal mens shirts i am a medium. i am 5,11 and slim build.

The sleeka (british made) is a funny one, it has shorter arms than most jackets. only by an inch or so. also the chest is slighty over average.

The sleeka elite (china town) i have just got mine in small as a christmas present and it is alot different. the arms feel about an inch longer and so does the overall length of the item. saying that the fit is tighter around the chest.

my opinion is is that if you want the ultimate midlayer get the british made, if you want a coat to wear in slight rain get the chinease made. the elite feels tougher overall but doesnt loft like a cloud.

Screw it im gonna take some piccys, back in 5

OK, so had a good look at both and had a few thoughts.

The chinease is heavier (noticably) and it feel chinease, if you know what you mean. The outside paratex feels finer on the UK.

enough of my ramblings here are the pics.

IMAG1324_zpsac187a2f.jpg

IMAG1323_zps1de8a517.jpg

IMAG1320_zps97f2212a.jpg

IMAG1321_zps2f658464.jpg

IMAG1322_zpsbce255e4.jpg

IMAG1325_zps17ffb449.jpg

IMAG1331_zps481793f8.jpg

IMAG1330_zps51b88dff.jpg

IMAG1329_zps305edbf7.jpg

IMAG1328_zps7d79585d.jpg

IMAG1327_zpscaafb273.jpg

IMAG1326_zps052c92fd.jpg

My overall opinion is buy british! or go to the factory in yorkshire and buy cheap british!

Last edited:

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for the pics, I'm still dithering with the purchase ( maybe a bit of dithering is a good thing ?). I do like the reversable UK version of the sleeka in your photos, seems more lofted than any of the other jackets mentioned previously, I think a small would still be the one to go for.

I didn't realise SnugPak had a factory shop, is it on their factory premises ? Which part of deepest darkest Yorkshire is the place situated as if it's not too far a trip could be in order :)

Thanks again for the excellent comparison snaps,

Sp

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
One of my favourite coats. If you can solve the problem and find some shop near to try them on. not sure where you are from. Post the area and members here will be able to help on near shops/surplus stores.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I had my sleeka elite for 8 years now, still going strong with no damage,I'm 6'2 and a 44 chest and have the large, it's a little snug the elbows when doing tasks and could be a bit longer in the arms, bu now I'm really nit picking as its a cracking jacket and I will buy another whatever the then price will be when it's day is up. Excellent value for money and beats jackets three times its price for warmth and durability. It packs down to the size of a yellow melon I suppose, and other brands go down smaller, but its not bad for a bomb proof reliable piece of kit that actually works.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hi,

Thanks for the pics, I'm still dithering with the purchase ( maybe a bit of dithering is a good thing ?). I do like the reversable UK version of the sleeka in your photos, seems more lofted than any of the other jackets mentioned previously, I think a small would still be the one to go for.

I didn't realise SnugPak had a factory shop, is it on their factory premises ? Which part of deepest darkest Yorkshire is the place situated as if it's not too far a trip could be in order :)

Thanks again for the excellent comparison snaps,

Sp

its at silsden, west yorkshire. not far from keighley/bradford.

collie

Jan 31, 2010
limavady N.I.
Hi guys
Already have a elite in xl and to stop the wifie stealing it i ordered 2 from the link in the thread from outdoor knitwear. Ordered yesterday morning on the phone and recieved in the post 1hour ago!! As fast as HH to NI!! Sizing is as expected, the medium fits me with a base layer and the large fits with a fleece below it. Material seems lighter than the snugpak but insulation feels as warm. Stuffsac made out of the same material but no compression on it. However for £20 each delivered I think it is unbeatable value and service. Any questions please ask

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE