Snowy Weather Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'll be spending my second winter in a cold country this year, but my first when I'll still be trying to go out into the woods.
I was wondering if any of the members from the frozen North (Scandanavia or Canada, not Yorkshire :lmao: ) had any tips for dealing with the cold and snow when you're outside.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Yes

Always go to the loo when you need to. Otherwise the body will spend lots of heat on keeping the waste warm.

Always wear a hood. Most of the body heat is lost through the head.

Don't drink alcohol if you are going out. It doesn't help, but rather the opposite.

Don't use tobacco when you are going outside. It contracts the cappilarian (?) veins, causing lower blood-sirculation to the outer parts of the skin.

Walk lightly dressed, when you expect to be rather immobile for a while: Strip off the outer layer and put on extra layers under (wool). Change the sweaty layer close to your body. May be an uncomfortable at first, but soon you will have a great warm feeling.

Walk a lot of barefoot in the summer. It thickens your skin and increases blood flow, making you a lot less cold on your feet.

Drink a lot of water, you need water in winter too.

A hot meal or drink (not coffee, as it dehydrates you) does good in raising your body temperature.

Reactions: Spikey DaPikey

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
sam_acw said:
I'll be spending my second winter in a cold country this year, but my first when I'll still be trying to go out into the woods.
I was wondering if any of the members from the frozen North (Scandanavia or Canada, not Yorkshire :lmao: ) had any tips for dealing with the cold and snow when you're outside.

Well this enough to fill a whole series of books. But some basic hints..

Clothing
-Outers must be windproof. They should also be roomy to allow a lot of insuating air inside. Not to roomy, then it will take to much energy to heat all the air up. Pockets are necessary. The zipper (if needed, an anorak lack it) should have a storm flap, not just consist of a showerproof laminated zipper. The jacket should be long.

-Baselayer should be of wool. The shirt should preferably have a zipper and thumb-loops. Don't even think about cotton undies.

-Cover the extremities at all times. Mittens should be worn instead of gloves. The best combination is a windproof outer-mitten with a woolen mitten inside. And next to the skin a thin glove (also wool). The finger glove can be used for delicate work (fiddling with your ski-bindings or lacing your skiboots). Use your jacket-hood as often as possible since it will be windproof. A knitted cap is usually enough when skiing.

-Shoes, or skiing boots should preferably have no insulation or foam. It's a real pain in the a-- skiing with frozen boots. And they will get frozen if you plan to do any camping. A good leather boot will get flexible after 45 minutes. My meindl takes hours... The best winter boots are those with removable felt inner shoes. (for example sorel caribou or varg polar). This allows you to dry a pair of inner boots for the morning.

-Always carry reinforcement clothing. And these should be considered reserves, not to be used in any activity. A heavy parka, a down jacket or a thick woolen sweater are good examples. Don't forget reinforcement hats. A fur hat is nice and cosy when it's -20 and windy.

-"If you sweat, you die" -Inuit proverb. Something to think about.

Camping Hiking, Etc...
-Carry a snow-shovel, a sleeping pad and a thermos when hiking. And of course a good 4-season tent. Make sure that the thermos is filled at all times (except when drinking of course).

-Never sit in the snow! Use the sleeping pad. Don't rest on windy locations, make a temporary windshelter out of snow for breaks.

-As soon as you take your break, put on reinforcement clothing. Try to ventilate your outers while resting.

-Never put wet stuff in the sleeping bag, the moist will get trapped and later frozen.

-A multifuel stove is much more efficient in winter. If you use a meth stove, keep the meth bottle in a pocket close to your body. Cold meth is hard to ignite.

-Pack much more food then needed, your energy demands are much higher in winter. Especially sugar is much more needed, and appreciated.

-Try to dig the tent down in the snow, that way you won't get strange drafts. But make sure you have clear ventilation channels.

-Carry a waterbootle in your jacket close to your body, so you can rehydrate. Water in your backpack will freeze. Fresh fruit and similar should also be carried in pockets...

-Change your socks often, dry them inside your pants, on the thighs. If you rest with sweaty socks you risk frostbites.

-Skiing is more efficient then snow shoes, and walking isn't usually an option. Everytime you ski, your skiing skills develop. Take every oppurtunity you get to improve your skiing.

-Heavy loads are preferably pulled in pulkas.

-Never touch metal with your bare hands! That's why you have thin finger gloves. Tape up you thermos with sportstape, especially the cup, so you can have a nice cup of tea in the sleeping bag before you put on gloves in the morning.
Well that was some loose tips. Hope it helped. Will try to remember more if you need. It's just in my normal behaviour, so it's hard to put everything down.

Reactions: Justin Time

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I got told to drink warm not hot brews in the winter. The logic behind it makes sense, if you drink a boiling hot brew, your core temperature will rise and you begin to sweat. This sweat then cools you down and therefore you are worse off than you started!! I think this is why when Ray did his military survival programme with Lars Falt, a soldier was seen to be adding snow to his brew.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
spamel said:
I got told to drink warm not hot brews in the winter. The logic behind it makes sense, if you drink a boiling hot brew, your core temperature will rise and you begin to sweat. This sweat then cools you down and therefore you are worse off than you started!! I think this is why when Ray did his military survival programme with Lars Falt, a soldier was seen to be adding snow to his brew.

When I did my army survival training developed by Lars Fält, it wasn't mentioned. Maybe there is some truth in it. But then again you have to differ between a survival situation and recreational hiking/skiing.

P

Phantom

heres some advice on keeping warm by using cloths
C.O.L.D.
keep it- Clean--dirt and grease blocks air spaces
avoid- Overheating-- ventilate!
wear it- Loose--alow air to circulate
keep it- Dry--outside and inside

phantom :AR15firin

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I think the core nuggets of wisdom have been covered. I just want to reitierate some of the more critical points:

Layer, layer, layer. Don't wear an undershirt and the heaviest parka you can find. 3-4 (or more) layers of clothing that can be stripped off match your requirements is best. I don't wear wool-I'm all about the wicking synthetics and it has worked well for me to this point. Nothing against wool though, it's fantastic stuff and probably the best stuff to wear.

Wear a hat and/or hood. Heat is lost from the head at an alarming rate, and those ears freeze easily.

Sweating is bad! Strip down if you're exerting and pile the layers back on when you stop. The Inuit know their cold weather. :D

Stay hydrated, as always.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE