Snowclaw - useful for the impending Arctic Expedition?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I would spend the money (and the weight) and get a decent folding Alu shovel. A digging tool is imperative in snowy conditions. Just imagine loosing a friend in an avalanche because you couldn't dig fast enough.. A real shovel is more ergonomic, efficient and fun. Meaning every shove with the shovel will move more snow with less strain. The real thing will weigh slightly more but is energy wise worth it in the long run.

Black Diamond makes really good ones. So does orthovox, rottefella and several others.

EDIT: just read what the link said. I have tested the snowclaw besides ordinary shovels and I found that the ordinary shovels were better. Contrary to what the link says. So I guess it's my word against theirs. Only you could decide.

Last edited:

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
EDIT: just read what the link said. I have tested the snowclaw besides ordinary shovels and I found that the ordinary shovels were better. Contrary to what the link says. So I guess it's my word against theirs. Only you could decide.

Glad you added in the edit - that's pretty much what I was going to establish. I trust your opinion over that of a person who's trying to flog it, however, how come the real shovel was better?

Cheers,

Ag

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE