Snow shovel for a car

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Recieved the snow shovel today, and it looks good, a bit shorter that I thought but not a major issue. The only thing I can't figure out is there are 4 holes in the corners of the shovel itself and body know that there for?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Recieved the snow shovel today, and it looks good, a bit shorter that I thought but not a major issue. The only thing I can't figure out is there are 4 holes in the corners of the shovel itself and body know that there for?

I believe they are for strapping to the outside of your pack.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got one of these:

$(KGrHqJ,!pIFDSDeQVsmBQ2K+wkKGw~~60_1.JPG

Its says 1939 on it. Its not too big, but on the plus side, you can use it as a frying pan, [perfect for sausages] and just take the shovel head, in a rucksack, and cut a long branch for a handle in the woods.

Better options for the car of course, but maybe worth consideration, if you have a bug out bag in your car.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Dave if it's a mountaineering snow shovel then the four holes in the corners are more likely to be so that you can attach cable/tatt to be able to turn it into a mountaineering "Deadman", a type of snow anchor often used when working your way down a snow slope. Handy to be able to turn your shovel into one as it saves weight. John Fenna on the other hand just uses a Stickers bar. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Dave if it's a mountaineering snow shovel then the four holes in the corners are more likely to be so that you can attach cable/tatt to be able to turn it into a mountaineering "Deadman", a type of snow anchor often used when working your way down a snow slope. Handy to be able to turn your shovel into one as it saves weight. John Fenna on the other hand just uses a Stickers bar. :D

8e3433cb69fbb9a2a8c30a732d417b72.jpg

It's like this one if that helps

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
8e3433cb69fbb9a2a8c30a732d417b72.jpg

It's like this one if that helps

Yup definitely for turning it into a snow anchor. Four holes so that you can equalise the strain/direction of pull as it attaches to your escape system.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Having held a second falling on a deadman, I rate them, shovel seems about the right shape and size BUT it has to be placed right, or its no damn us at all.
Read. Up and practice, lots !

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Having held a second falling on a deadman, I rate them, shovel seems about the right shape and size BUT it has to be plac right, or its no damn us at all.
Read. Up and practice, lots !

Yes fun watching them pop when placed incorrectly, but only when training on safe slopes.
Winter climbing kit can be a bit mind boggling to newbies, and the concept of gear that pops to slow you down scares the bejezus out of folks, but it works and boy are you thankfull when one finally holds. Miss not being able to be a winter warrior these days. :(

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
This was new and very interesting info to me! I may just get my self a mountaneering shovel just for the well-thought-out-edness of them now!
I fell silly now, for posting my own deductions as knowledge. My sincere apologies to Dave89 and anyone else affected.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This was new and very interesting info to me! I may just get my self a mountaneering shovel just for the well-thought-out-edness of them now!
I fell silly now, for posting my own deductions as knowledge. My sincere apologies to Dave89 and anyone else affected.

I wouldn't feel bad about it, many climbers don't know what the holes are for and fewer could set one up safely. Though with a little training they make a great anchor and in the right conditions you'd be amazed how much strain they'd take.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
To be fair it will never get used as a snow anchor, where as using the hole to attach them to my pack will be the most probable outcome

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE