Pens....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
So I got fed up of Bics leaking in my pocket; pencils snapping or stabbing me; mechanical pencils snapping or dissembling....and took the plunge on a space pen.
Gorgeously simple, expensive, heavy enough to wear through my pocket...and easily lost.
So I didn't take it out except on special occaisions, like getting civilly partnered last Thursday.
And promptly lost it on the beach or in the restaurant after.......
Any ideas for a cheap, robust, light, non self destructing hard plastic pen with space-type refills that also doesnt wear through your pockets, your skin or your waterproof layers.....?
Cheers
Richard

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Uni PowerTank, mayhap? Can't speak for indestructibleness, but at the price you could probably afford to experiment.

The Pokka pens look awfully like they're proprietary refills to me, plus the whole "change the refill with a pair of pliers" thing doesn't scream of great design. If you want a pen that short, there are other bullet pen types such as the Hightide Penco, or Kaweco make a short clicker, that take D1 refills - Schmidt and Tombow both make pressurised versions of those.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Zebra X-701. Aircraft grade aluminium. Pocket clip. Never had one leak. About £8 off the usual sites.

Reactions: nigelp

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Interesting pens but I can only find them on Amazon and Heinie Hayes with no supplier of the refills even in the US

The All Weather variants take Fisher refills.

Probably more likely to find them sold as Rite in the Rain brand, like here

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I use the bic 4 colour pen as well. Just comes in handy having the selection. Although I love the traditional bic pen, yes they leak if not pointed in the pocket the right way up.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Not exactly an answer to your question but might help somehow.
My normal writing implements are a Derwent pencil sharpened at both ends, a cheap lamy retractable pen and a double ended sharpie(thick and fine).
The Derwent pencils are artist pencils and have thicker lead and are quite robust and last for a long time. The lamy pen is just a standard click retractable job but I've not lost it yet and it works I guess its the equivalent of the Parker Jotter. Sharpies cover everything else. All of this fits in a cordura notepad holder small enough to fit in a standard jeans front pocket.

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
Pokka pens going strong, one in farm trousers, one in casual trousers. Bics still, for work.
Orange colour and form factor, perfect.
Fine nib slightly annoying.
Unrefillable...well it will be.
But otherwise, just the job.
Thanks all.
R

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Minotaur and Jared

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE