Snow Shelter mk1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Hey Peeps, Don't know if this is in the right place but here goes.

I decided to built a snow shelter and hopefully spend the night outside tonight in the garden.

It's not finished yet, Decided to have a brew, Damn it's hard work, Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Andy

spa0298.jpg

spa0297.jpg

spa0299.jpg

Its got a way to go yet .:cool:

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
errmmmm where's the roof dude? :eek:
Trick is to make a huge pile, smack it down, insert twigs at same depth then dig out until twigs show up inside.
Guessing you're doing it the hard way!

Interesting way of doing it, how are you going to add the roof without it collapsing or is the snow of that type that will stick together nicely?
One good thing is you dont have to spend ages shovelling it out from the inside with limited space. :)

Let us know how you get on with the rest.

Have a look at my post in the DIY section for a photo by photo of me building my one, which is as Bert describes.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I Didn't have enough snow or twigs in my garden to do it the Easy Way dude:rolleyes:. As for the roof I'm using a 3 x 3 Tarp and poles over the top:p

A tarp on the floor with 3 Roll mats on top of those and a thick down sleeping bag.

photo0847.jpg

photo0848.jpg

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Interesting way of doing it, how are you going to add the roof without it collapsing or is the snow of that type that will stick together nicely?
One good thing is you dont have to spend ages shovelling it out from the inside with limited space. :)

Let us know how you get on with the rest.

Have a look at my post in the DIY section for a photo by photo of me building my one, which is as Bert describes.

Sadly i didn't have enough snow in my garden, Also i have a thing about closed in spaces, I wouldn't have felt comfy with it all above my head lol.

I'm hopeing to post while i'm in there my wifi signal should reach lol.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Thank you, I will.
It's just started coming down again now pretty heavily, managed to get the tarp up before, thankfully
photo0849.jpg

Glad i bought some decent sized pegs, the ground was well hard :)

photo0850u.jpg

I'm looking forward to it :D

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Morning all,

***, That was a cold night, I got bedded down about 1130 after a brew, and a couple of glasses of J.D.

Woke up a couple of hours later with an aching ankle and a full bladder. T.B.H i didn't get any sleep after that, so i put the radio on listened to the cricket and had a cuppa.

Glad i had the opportunity to do it, Nearly gave up a few times , Looking forward to my bed tonight though.

spa0304.jpg

Brew time

spa0307.jpg

spa0309m.jpg

View from the garden

Cheers

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Well done for giving that a go! My son is now agitating for an snow shelter in the back garden...

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Thank's Guy's.

I learnt a lot from doing it, How a hot brew goes through me pretty fast in the cold:). It's hard building a small shelter with a tarp, You do start to perspire very quickly even in the cold.

If i hadn't read others threads i wouldn't have attempted it if i'm honest.

On the safety side of it SWMBO, made it clear that i had to take my Phone and a walkie talkie with me , which was left on all night.

The Kid's think i'm mad, But i'm glad i had the chance to build it and spend the night in it, It's the sense of accomplishment.

Cheers Andy ( Lucan ):D:D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well done Andy, Im just off to start mine, thats if the snow doest melt overnight, its dipping a bit.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Thanks guy's , addo let us know how you get on:). Man it's cold getting the little fella out when you're bursting, I used an empty 2ltr milk container from the recycle bin :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE