Snake, Natrix Natrix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
A month ago I was able to catch this beauty in a small dam. Since childhood I was always interested of reptiles and spiders, so I was very happy this day :)
The children that was with me this day was excited by the snake.
natrixnatrix.jpg

Sorry about lousy pic, but does this species exist in UK?

Andy80F

Jun 30, 2010
Poole, Dorset
The Grass snake (Natrix Natrix) is one of the few native British snakes. You seem to have a way with the snake the grass snake often lets go a pungent odour that lasts for a fair while on the skin and can ruin clothes, they are also known to play dead. Reasonably common round the New Forest.

Andy

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
You can be sure that I needed to clean my hands properly afterwards. :)) Ok, you call it Grass snake. In swedish it´s called Snok or vatten(water)snok.
When caught it let the odour on my hands and made a hizzing noise, but after a minute or so the snake calms down, and then was easy to handle.
This is not the first snake that I have handle with. I actually caught two smaller ones before this one.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Slow-worm or Blind-worm is just a silly name.

Maybe, but it´s a beautiful lizard. We have lots of them. Is there plenty of Vipera Berus where you live? I have searched in the forest nearby my place, but only once I ran into one, some years ago.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Maybe, but it´s a beautiful lizard. We have lots of them. Is there plenty of Vipera Berus where you live? I have searched in the forest nearby my place, but only once I ran into one, some years ago.

I wouldn't say plenty, but there are colonies throughout the UK and can be found readily if you know where to look. Anguis fragilis is the most common reptile by far, I find tens of them daily when surveying for V.berus.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The colour range of grass snakes is really diverse. We get black or melanistic ones here too.

246_4608.jpg

Same with adders.

2427740413_5c1bb54054.jpg

Jonathan,

Is that Adder pic a true representation?

I've just had a few painkillers and wonder if i'm tripping..:p

Lovely colour if true.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Jonathan,

Is that Adder pic a true representation?

I've just had a few painkillers and wonder if i'm tripping..:p

Lovely colour if true.

It is true. I've found the most amazing perfectly black adders, to adders that are a very deep blue and even lilac coloured. You also get them with the zig zag merged into a very wide stripe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE