Snake ID required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Interesting pic and query from another forum I frequent - anyone know what type of snake this is? It was found in an English garden but certainly doesn't look like a native species - athough maybe an albino?

I'm hoping Jonathan D will know straight off :)

IMG_0292_zpsda7ef748.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If you can get some more pics and let me know the location it was found in the UK, I could be 100% positive. Albino snakes are a nightmare to ID. It would also be highly unusual for a wild snake to have lived as long as that one is without being predated.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Anything of another angle of the head so I can see the scalation between the nasal cavity and eye?

Where was it found?

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
It's scales don't look like they are keeled which would mean it's not an Adder, Grass or Aesculapian snake, the only British snake without keels is the Smooth Snake. Albinos are also bred by owners and very sought after pets, most likely and escapee.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Based on the scalation patterns I can see and the robust ventral articulation, I'm pretty certain (97%) it's Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta or black rat snake. Obviously a captive bred albino morph of some kind. The scalation is wrong for any Pantherophis.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No matter. I'm sure it's a black rat snake. I'm on my PC now and not on my phone and it's quite clear. I should have confirmed it right away just by the posture. But sometimes you can look so hard at the minutiae that you miss the big and quite obvious tell.

A non native American snake bred for the pet market. You don't see these in the wild and it is a morph or hybrid. Bred for the unique colouration.

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Cheers - thanks for the investigative work. I can now tell the photographer, who almost soiled his pants when the thing lunged at him! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE