Snails

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Breeding them is apparently quite easy: How Do You Breed Snails?

Just keep 'em away from my allotment! ;) Although I suppose I really should try eating them sometime - I normally just smash them and leave them for the birds.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
my youngest picked up the habit of "snail stomping" in my mums veg garden, but i'm trying to teach him all about "mini beasts" and he's finally coming round, i'll soon have him eating snail :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Some friends of mine keep/kept giant african land-snails, the biggest one was about fist-sized *. The problem there wasn't breeding them, it was stopping them from breeding. Funnily enough, my suggestion of feeing them on garlic tops fell on deaf ears.

Edit: * LOL, just realised that fists come in all shapes and sizes, let's say a good four to five inch diameter shell and when extended the "foot" was about 8 - 10 inches long.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nothing wrong with eating the good old garden snail, but in some places the Roman snail is getting to be a bit scarce, so a certain amount of care is needed that you don't over-collect. Still fairly common in the South east, I understand. I've never seen one, let alone tasted one. Would like to (both).

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Oh yeah, I love seafood and shellfish, snails are no different. Don't understand folk that eat winkles and mussels and then turn their noses up at snails.

I'm definitely one of these people.... However I would give snails a go... id have to break my snail virginity, in a restaurant though, I think.

F

fiskman6666

Tried some last year when we were having a bbq,foraged around the garden and chucked a few on the griddle ,pulled out of the shell took off the gooey bit at the back and dipped in butter ,very nice indeed.Apparently tho be careful of liver fluke i have been told.
Dave

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think if there is another scottish meet up at Comrie this year I could be talked round into trying some.

but as said it would be a cold day in hell before I did them myself.

what do they taste like then?

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
We export them to the French... althuogh i can understadn why people turn their noses up.... they are quite chewy and tatse a little earthy... but enuogh garlic and yum yum...;-)

A few questions...

I was just in France for 10 days and saw some snails, however the sqweemish cries of my vegetarian girlfriend and daughter thought that now was not the time!

Funny then to chance across this thread.

Are the roman snails the only edible snail we have? is the common garden snail edible?

If I followed your suggestions on purging etc, what would be the best way to cook these and try for the first time in the field (no chance I'd be allowed at home!!!), cooking times, seasoning etc.

oh and is there a season? I know they hibernate, can they be collected in colder climes?

Thanks

Leo

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Are the roman snails the only edible snail we have? is the common garden snail edible?

If I followed your suggestions on purging etc, what would be the best way to cook these and try for the first time in the field (no chance I'd be allowed at home!!!), cooking times, seasoning etc.

oh and is there a season? I know they hibernate, can they be collected in colder climes?

The common garden snail is edible, that's what I'm cooking in the pics. You can eat them at any time during the year.

The best way to cook them is by boiling in the field, or directly in the embers. Best to kep them in a cold box or fridge for a few hours prior to cooking though as they will come out of their shells and will be cooked open. This makes them look more unappetising, as they look alive and more snail like than if cooked curled up in their shells.

Snail over limpets any day!
Never thought about breeding them. Although the Khmer were and still are breeding spiders for food. First out of necessity (courtesy of Pol Pot) and now because they just tast good.... even if you try it around Khao San Road in Bangkok...

Then again.... I eat (almost) anything....even Brussels sprouts ;-)

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE