smoking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I would like to build a little smokehouse

yeah I know there are mini smokers out there but I would like to build a permanent one

Does anyone know where to find plans for this kind of thing?

Presumably every other house used to have one , sadly many have been demolished and forgotten

The idea of smoking my own bacon / trout / salmon or mackerel appeals to me but I dont want a huuuuuuuuuge thing

cheers

Tant

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey...not sure if tere's actually plans but if you do a google search for River Cottage there's an article on there were he discribes in pretty fine detail how he built his one....
Hope that's of use to you....

Actually the site is: www.rivercottage.net but I haven't a clue where on the site the article was....sorry!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think cold smoking is considered better for preserving meat and fish as it smokes it without cooking the meat. The secret to cold smoking is to have the fire as far from the box with the meat in as poss. A long connecting tube means when the smoke arrives it is cold. Simple really. Probably more tricky in practice.

Rivercottage will give you loads of help and if you can't find it ask on the forum, you can log in as guest if you don't want to register.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE