Smoking pipe modification! From bad to ..rad? ahem..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo!

Being a pipe smoker I often hunt for old pipes to clean up and us, but after hearing about a brand called 'Mr.Brog' about a year ago I had a browse through their handmade (in Poland) selection and ordered one for myself to check out the quality.

I ordered an 'Old Boy' model in two tone pear wood with rustication. Rustication for those not in the know is detailed rustic texturing on the other body. Good examples look beautiful, as many of mine do. This one however.. nope.. looked cack and I could do better myself with a dremel and 5 minuts.

Anyway, I used the pipe for some time to be fair to it as it only cost £15 posted. Soon after the coating on th bowl began to flake off so I sent it in for a n exchange. New one came, ven worse rustication lol. And a few days ago after I dug oiut the pipe which I usually give to friends to puff on (kinda like a beater knife) I noticed the exact same thing, coating coming off.

Here are some pic's so you can see. Looks nice, right?

Nice until this happens..

Well instead of just dumping it away in anger and leaving my money to just be wasted I figured a spruce up was in order. As some of you know I do a fair bit of knfe and tool modifications and restorations. Figured why not and orderd a new stem for it (£3.50) from Mr.Brog, nothing wrong with old stem, just wanted a longer one.

Earlier today I dug out my angle grinder and set at it. 'EEKK an angle grinder on a pipe!!???' you say? lol trust me, I got dem skillz yo.

After I busted off most of the crappy paint I took it to town with the sanding sponges and actually a little gouge to tidy up the shank to bowl upper connection as it was slightly too high and looked like a stupid camel imo.

I kind of wantd to remove all the depth to the previous attmept at rustication, but as I removed near all of it I thought some with the existing colour actually made it looks quite nice, like cork almost.

So I gave it a few coats of veg' oil, which it lapped up like a thirsty dog! then a generous rub with a gummy linseed oil and beeswax cocktail I made ages ago for handles. Plenty of rubbing and a good clean after and with the new stem securely in place (friction) and this is the newly dressed pig.

Not bad imo, and althought this thread was meant to be a quick run down and some pic's it seems to have become a semi review also.. never mind! :D

The pipe smokes alright, always has done, it's just ugly otb. I'll smoke it for a week or so daily to see how the oiling holds up and maybe invest in some proper pipe polish/wax.

Thanks for reading!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the kidn words guys and guyettes! :)

My original intention was to add a tamp/poker holder on the stem or bowl like the one Sam Jackson had in 'the hateful 8'. I am also considering adding a steel or copper ferrule to the shank where it meets the stem. But I need to dig some scrap bits out or buy some pipe first.

Let's say this one is a work in progress! :D

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Smoke%20On%20Ted_zpsqaeia7jo.jpg~original

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Chuin used to say in the Destroyer books, you've make a pearl from a pigs ear. :D
Funnily enough I'm sitting here reaching Hateful 8 with a rum and a smoke and I noticed the tamper on the pipe you talked about.
Cracking job Samon.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice one. I did similar with a Pipo, I couldn't find a smooth version anywhere. It was a lunchtime at work project, scrubbing away with the different grits. Used a bit of dubbin on the wood.

Trying to get off the tobacco, but I have a drawer full of Orlik and McClellands, and enjoy the occasional smoke.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A continued thanks for the kind words folks! :)

Nice one. I did similar with a Pipo, I couldn't find a smooth version anywhere. It was a lunchtime at work project, scrubbing away with the different grits. Used a bit of dubbin on the wood.

Trying to get off the tobacco, but I have a drawer full of Orlik and McClellands, and enjoy the occasional smoke.

If you do pack it in, I'll likely buy any left overs you have. ;)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you do pack it in, I'll likely buy any left overs you have. ;)

Only one I think I'd like to keep is British Woods. Latakia goodness, and goes well with a whisky or heavy beer round the fire. I'll get them out and see what I have. Most tins have been opened, but I've certainly got some good tasters.

Might hang on to a few slices of Orlik Bullseye too ;)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice work on the pipe. I'm curious how the oil is holding up, how is that going?

It's absolutely fine. Dry and smooth to the touch, no oil pushing out or the wax smelling strange when smoking. Seems like the wood was really dry and thirsty, also not particularly hard wood hence why it's a cheap one. The bowl gets pretty hot which is normal and it's still looking nice. I will add some more coats of wax to seal it but it worked surprisingly well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE