Smartphones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Guys and Girls....

My contract has finished and I'm thinking of getting a smartphone, anyone had any experience with them and can recommend one? I've been looking at the Orange c500....A mate of mines trying to persuade me to get a o2 XDA IIi...I'm not sure myself..

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
It depends what you want it for. I have a Nokia 9210i at the moment and am just upgrading to a Nokia 9500. It is like having a small laptop with you all the time. I would be lost without it BUT it is huge by modern phone standards. I have an old, small phone handset I use for when I do not want to take the communicator but I have to say that is rare as it there are not many situations when it is not to be handy.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Urmm, not sure about the XDA, had an A925 last (motorola) which was a great phone, I just got fed up carrying something of that size around. I've now got a Panasonic X700 which runs symbian 60, great little phone being a clamshell although I do miss the touch screen. Personally if I had the money I'd get a smaller smart phone (like the Panasonic) and a seperate PDA.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
isnt it funny that many buscrafters are attracted to a lot of high tech gadgetry.. its seems to me that we who have taken time to learn the old ways are also embracing the 21st centry with both arms open!

can someone tell me the difference between a smartphone and a regular phone? i have a nokia 6100.. i dont think its very smart!?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've noticed that as well Tom

I'm guessingsmart phones double as PDAs. I don't use them and only have a 3310 but given that my last phone was broken during an assualt I'm not inclined to spend a lot on a fancy one. I was a bit upset I'd forgot the phone was in my pocket when I blocked the kick with my leg

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
i have a Sony Ericsson P910i which usually wins the award of best smartphone in reviews. however, i'd tend to recommend the new XDA - there's no doubt in my mind that the power and flexibility lies with Pocket PCs.

I've always been a big fan of Psions so the purchase of the P910i was a sentimental decision but i also have an Ipaq which offers far more in add on software, hardware accessories etc as well as a bigger screen and more processing power. Sony Ericsson phones means your tied to the more expensive memory sticks too....

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The nokia with gps is the 5140, it has a torch, thermometer and a built in digital compass. The gps is an add on cover that I havent seen stocked anywhere yet and when I have asked around the shops I just get shaken heads,although I have seen them on ebay recently. The other feature on this phone that looks good is the Push to talk but it isnt compatable with any UK network yet and I dont know when(or ever ) it will be. The phone is good though a bit tougher than some others on the market.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I did yez a favour and asked the bloke in the phone shop down the road - he said (like Matt said) that you'd do better to get a separate PDA and phone as phones do PDA stuff very poorly and are clumsy to use as phones. :wink:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
tomtom said:
isnt it funny that many buscrafters are attracted to a lot of high tech gadgetry.. its seems to me that we who have taken time to learn the old ways are also embracing the 21st centry with both arms open!

can someone tell me the difference between a smartphone and a regular phone? i have a nokia 6100.. i dont think its very smart!?

Maybe it cos I spend my entire day at work with high tech stuff. My phone cost me ten quid, I bought it under duress and I do my best not to have it turned on. I've never seen the point of a PDA ( I had to ask what one was ).Mind you the phone's useless here - the whole damned building's shielded.

Now work's trying make me have another mobile as a first aider, seems rather pointless given the shielding. Wonder what happens if I turn it on in of the areas with active dampening, should get some kind of feedback going.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See this is where I really show my age :yikes:
PDA means 'Public Demonstrations of Affection' folks

I'm a psion fan too, but I've just been given a 'hand me up' (not down!) by my son, of a little Sony Clie, and to my delight I hadn't forgotten how to write on it. It's just like my old palmpilot.....I think J rules the world through his phone, he even manages to debug programs on his uncle's computer from 11 miles away :shock: Next thing we know they'll be fitting usb slots in kids :?:

I reckon keep phone and toys apart, lose one you've still got the other, and the phone isn't built like a brick. There's also the upgrade issue, phones are cheap.(comparatively)

Toddy

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Wouldn't pick an XDA as a phone - you'll only end up buying a proper phone after a few weeks.

Mate of mine just go the new clamshell nokia - fairly thick but top Q Nokia as always. Week later he added a GPS kit to it - just plugged in the preloaded SD card full of maps and turned on the tiny Royaltek bluetooth GPS mouse. Instant in-car navigation.

:wave:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Oh and I forgot to say also - the more high tech, the worse the battery life. Some phones now have awful battery life, they won't last much more than about 2 hours of use, or 2-3 days on standby :thumbs_do

Why doesn't someone invent an ultra simple phone that is small, waterproof, survives cliff drops and floats? I'd buy it!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I have a nokia 6600 which I suppose is a bit of both. It is built on nokia's series 60 platform by simbian (they develop software for psion). It is more like a pda but with traditional phone design. The main reason I got it was that it will sync with my mac. This means I can keep 2 copies of my address book and calender and update them in a few seconds when I want to. No more losing all your numbers when some toerag nicks your phone.

The biggest waste on phones is the cameras. I have honestly never taken a photo, which you can see any detail in, with a mobile phone. Why have they wasted all the effort in developing them? The new camera phones have 1 megapixel woweeeeee a £50 digital camera is better than that these days. Phones shouldn't try to do everything, just do a few things well.

Bill

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
My dads got one of those smart phones, and it's very funny. You ask him "you free on the 13th of March?" and he spends 10 minutes finding the diary, then the month, then the day, then he deletes something by accident and then can't tell you. I'd be the same so i stick to paper! :lol:

:biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE