Small white worms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
On my early morning dog walk on the way to the beach on I saw hundreds of white worms writhing about on the concrete. They were about 12 mm long and the thickness of a peice of cotton thread. The concrete slab path run through mown grass. Has anyone any idea what the are?.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
May be nematode worms which are parasitic worms , with out seeing them hard to tell, or all i can think of is someone maybe wormed there dog and thats what you saw :shock:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
KIMBOKO said:
On my early morning dog walk on the way to the beach on I saw hundreds of white worms writhing about on the concrete. They were about 12 mm long and the thickness of a peice of cotton thread. The concrete slab path run through mown grass. Has anyone any idea what the are?.

How did they taste? :eek:): Well if you are a fish they are top grub :eek:): Check this link out. Maybe this or similar:

White Worms

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
They were over too wide ans area to be dog recently evacuated dog worms. Doing search on nematodes it seems there are not just parasitic on dogs and are more generally found so they may have come out of the soil or grassland.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i was under the impression that most nematodes are too small to see with the naked eye

Moonrakers link looks like a very likely culprit tho

i guess they could have come out of the soil as a result of waterlogging and crossed the path in search of somewhere more suitable

Tant

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
KIMBOKO said:
They were over too wide ans area to be dog recently evacuated dog worms. Doing search on nematodes it seems there are not just parasitic on dogs and are more generally found so they may have come out of the soil or grassland.

That is what the web site says:

White Worms - They are an opaque white in colour, hence the name and occur naturally in soil. Well worked compost heaps will normally be holding a large population of these worms. They cannot stand dry soil, other places were they abound is in damp leaf litter and the banks of ponds and streams. The worms prefer to remain near the surface but dry conditions will drive them down deeper in the soil. They perform the same functions as earthworms and study has suggested that the actually turn over more soil than the earthworm and control the pH of the soil and prevent it becoming to acidic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE