Small Tent Purchase

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a modern lightweight tent. I think I have my heart set on the Vango Banshee 200 which I can get from Go Outdoors for £120~ I was also looking at the Vango Starav 200 as Ordnance Survey are currently selling them for £100 but think I prefer the Banshee although there appears to not be a great deal of difference between the two.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any others I should consider in that price bracket before I make a purchase. I did also consider the OEX Phoxx 2 which is cheaper but prefer the Vango Banshee mainly as with the Vango you set up the outer skin first.

Thanks.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I prefer the look of the banshee, not keen on the way the starav is flat at the ends, much prefer the limpit style of the banshee as I imagine it'd help with mind deflection. Specs wise they look much of a muchness...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You could consider something a little different like the Robens Boulder 2 especially if you intend to use it for two people. I have always favoured a bit of access comfort for my backpacking tents - perhaps over outright weight. I still use an old Saunders Spacepacker!

The Boulder 2 is the same weight as the Vango (2.4kg) but has separate exits for both occupants so those midnight trips outside don't mean climbing over your companion :). They can also be found for under £110.

OK, maybe not for the top of the Cairngorms in a blizzard but I probably wouldn't choose the Vango for that either.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Thank you, I will check it out now. I believe the new Vango Banshees actually have 2 openings as opposed to the older ones with only 1 opening.

I intend on using the tent for me and my 4 year old son which I think will be big enough. We are going to go to Go Outdoors tomorrow as they have a Vango Banshee 200 set up so I will take my rucksack and my son and see if it is big enough.

Reactions: Broch

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
You could consider something a little different like the Robens Boulder 2 especially if you intend to use it for two people. I have always favoured a bit of access comfort for my backpacking tents - perhaps over outright weight. I still use an old Saunders Spacepacker!

The Boulder 2 is the same weight as the Vango (2.4kg) but has separate exits for both occupants so those midnight trips outside don't mean climbing over your companion :). They can also be found for under £110.

OK, maybe not for the top of the Cairngorms in a blizzard but I probably wouldn't choose the Vango for that either.
I do actually like the look of that, and their other tents, which are more than what I want to pay. The only negative really is that it's an inner skin first tent which one of the things I like about the Vango is that it's outer first.

How important is it that I get an outer first tent? Taking into consideration that I do live in Wales.. :lmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy and Broch

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
+1 for the Robens boulder 2! We have one as a lightweight, single person option (I know it’s an 2 person but it’s perfect for 1 to sprawl out in) and it’s fantastic. For the price I doubt you could find anything else that’s as good really.

Reactions: Dan00001

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Well, I went ahead and ordered a Robens Arch 2 from Nevisport last night. I'm hoping it comes in the older red colour as pictured on the Nevisport website as opposed to the new blue colour but either way, it looks a great tent. I like that it has a larger vestibule to store kit or cook in if I had to. I was really tempted by the Pioneer but it's 4m long. Maybe that will be a future purchase :lmao:

Thank you Broch for making me aware of Robens, I don't think I'd looked at them before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE