Small spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Bit if a hack and slash job this.

Back in August I was on a camping trip in the Black Mountains, and there was a lot of rowan wood being used on the fire. It was fairly green, owing to an error on the part of the person who cut it (not me), so to keep myself occupied I roughed out a quick spoon. It went wrong, with the handle splitting down too thin, and I botched the bowl too, and then didn't have tools with the right curvature to sort it out. It came home in my pack, and sat on the side for ages, rough and unfinished.

Last night I picked it up, grabbed some sandpaper and had a concerted go at it. This morning I gave it a quick oil, and here we have my latest spoon. It isn't perfect, and there as several flaws and irregularities, but for a quick hack job it isn't bad. No more than half an hour of carving, and about 15 minutes with the sandpaper.

15319546497_9d0b4b27fc_b.jpg

Eat faster stripe
15506140665_aa430c1d3e_b.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how thin I got this. Again, bad splitting initially, but now I get light through it if I hold it to a lamp.
15319435788_58a33d2da7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Nice job.

i envy the delicacy of your work if you can see light through it - you could see light through a couple of mine, but only where they'd split :(

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Spot on, nice unusual shape and you got the bowl walls nice and fine

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
your definitely getting better mike lol i remember your first one long time no see mate how you doing

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
That is a great looking spoon and three very pleasing examples of outdoor spoon photography too!

Does rowan have any special properties that make it good for carving? Might gather some before lack of leaves makes ID more challenging.

Thanks for sharing

T

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is a great looking spoon and three very pleasing examples of outdoor spoon photography too!

Does rowan have any special properties that make it good for carving? Might gather some before lack of leaves makes ID more challenging.

Thanks for sharing

T

Thanks for the comment Tom. I'm not aware that rowan wood is particularly specia for carving. It is a decent wood, perhaps lacking a bit in grain interest, but it does carve pretty well. I used it simply because it was what was available at the time.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Very nice indeed and nicely rescued.

I am under no illusions as to my own skills; I can turn out some nice pieces but what I lack with the knife I have no shame about making up for with the abrasives. One of my early birch efforts has a tiny translucent part in the centre of the bowl but there is still plenty of wood there to use it.

Nice delicate piece there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE