Small sickle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Just thought I'd bring this back to let the people interested know that I haven't forgotten and I'll make the blades as soon as I can order the steel, sometimes next week.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have finally got around to finishing the forager's sickle, just a bit of cleaning up and finishing the surface left.

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0177-1.jpg

The blade is 01 steel, hardened and tempered, the handle is sycamore, the blade is fixed to the handle with glue, a hardwood pin through a hole and finally wrapped tightly with red deer sinew and hide glue. I am going to finish the handle with a mixlinseed, turpentine and stockolm tar. The blade is mounted for a right hand person.

• Love
Reactions: Toddy

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I always understood a sickle had a serrated blade and a hook a smooth blade and they were different tools. If you check out old tool books you will see the two different patterns.
John Harrison and Son of Sheffield were one producer that I know of that produced serrated sickles and smooth hooks,they also were made with straight or cranked handles depending on preference, there is also another tool called a bagging hook which has a broarder, more open blade.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Up here they are all called heuks, the scythe is a lang heuk, I don't ever recall seeing a serrated blade though, ours are sharpened with a cigar shaped hone stone.
The little bronze one that began this thread is smooth edged and I found it excellent to use.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE