Small portable radio...advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...even if the BBC does kill their service off (which will be about money, not valves)..."

No doubts here that it is all about the money and that them being doing to the last few valves is simply the excuse they decided to sell to us. :(

It would be quite entertaining if some pensioner turned up at Droitwich with a box of Marconi CAM3 valves and said "there you go, that'll last you another twenty years". :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Looks like a good item - but spendy even second hand (a few going for well over the hundred notes). I'll keep my eye out for a bargain, but if anyone knows of anything a little more accesible in my price range for now, I'd be grateful!

I think it depends on how much you want SW. Or rather how much you want decent SW. The Sony SW1 is a legendary radio and expensive for good reason. Many SW radios are deaf on the SW frequencies, but the little Sony has a reputation for pulling in a crisp signal across the whole SW spectrum without a problem. Be aware though, that many had faults early on and you see cheap ones on sale that suffer from this common fault (motorboating). There are people who will repair the fault for you, but it's about £35 a pop IIRC. If you can find one cheap, in good working order, without the fault (or that has had the capacitors professionally replaced), snap it up.

If you are happy to set your sights a little lower, the Grundig G6 Aviator is a good little set....

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...ortwave-Radio/5857120/product.html?cid=133635

grundigg6.jpg

You wont get the same range of SW you will get with the SW1 (that radio was about £350 when new 20 years ago). But the G6 is certainly not deaf on SW. Compact size, good sound quality, good battery life, decent SW and reasonable price.

As with all SW radios, a long wire antenna makes a big difference. This is my "pack radio" and I carry it in a little hard case thing, with a set of earbuds and a 20 foot plug-in long wire antenna.

Last edited:

ganstey

Settler
I think it depends on how much you want SW.

I don't need SW at all. My criteria are:

1) FM/LW reception
2) Portability
3) Reasonable price (£40-ish max, £30 prefered)

Solar/windup would be a bonus, so long as they were practical. I bought an admittedly cheap windup radio, and on a full charge it lasted about 10 mins on FM. Main location it would be used is outside in the UK.
Graham

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I don't need SW at all. My criteria are:

1) FM/LW reception
2) Portability
3) Reasonable price (£40-ish max, £30 prefered)

Solar/windup would be a bonus, so long as they were practical. I bought an admittedly cheap windup radio, and on a full charge it lasted about 10 mins on FM. Main location it would be used is outside in the UK.
Graham

Red was looking for a radio with SW capability and that is where the high price and big variations in quality are. You just need a standard FM/AM radio (LW and MW are both AM). You can pretty much pick whatever you want that ticks your boxes. Personally, I would avoid wind-ups. They are a gimmick IMO and as you have found out, 2 million hours of winding, gives 30 seconds of radio, or thereabouts. Much better off with a 2xAA radio IMO. AA batteries are cheap, available everywhere and in various chemistries, including a variety of rechargeable formats.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...If you are happy to set your sights a little lower, the Grundig G6 Aviator is a good little set....

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...ortwave-Radio/5857120/product.html?cid=133635

grundigg6.jpg

You wont get the same range of SW you will get with the SW1 (that radio was about £350 when new 20 years ago). But the G6 is certainly not deaf on SW. Compact size, good sound quality, good battery life, decent SW and reasonable price.

As with all SW radios, a long wire antenna makes a big difference. This is my "pack radio" and I carry it in a little hard case thing, with a set of earbuds and a 20 foot plug-in long wire antenna.

+1 for the Grundig A6. It gets reasonable battery life with ordinary AA batteries plus it has a mains connection. Using on mains will recharge the batteries (if your using rechargeable batteries)

It recieves SW, FM, AM, LW, and the aviation band.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
If you are buying a SW radio, check the bandwidth coverage. The Tecsun 380 llinked to earlier only goes up to 21MHz. This will miss out covering the 10m band.

This radio has now been superceded by the Tecsun 210, which goes to 29MHz.

Tecsun are the OEM manufacturer for many of the Grundig and Eton brand radios and offer a lot of radio for the money.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi
I use an Eton radio - very happy with it, good reception good battery life. Better than my Roberts. Have a look at the Scorpion range if you are thinking of taking it into the woods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE