Short wave radio - £1.99

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If you are travelling to the less…um…stable parts of the world, a shortwave ‘world band’ radio is a sensible thing to take. People do get caught up in surprise events: tsunami, civil war, riots, coup d’etats, Chernobyl-type events, etc. If the worst happens, you can get reliable information from the excellent BBC World Service, or the English Service of Radio Netherlands. Both have a reputation for accuracy and impartiality, unlike local stations, which may well be off the air anyway.

Even at home, the government recommend that you have a battery-powered radio in case of emergency. Also, if you are camping, a shortwave radio gives you a wider choice of stations, especially at night, or in mountainous country where FM reception is often difficult.

Superdrug are currently flogging a 10 band shortwave radio for the enormous sum of £1.99. That’s a pretty good price for any radio, but considering it covers the entire useful shortwave spectrum from 5MHz to 21MHz, it is a steal. If you add in a digital frequency readout (believe me, you want this), it is a serious bargain. Superdrug claim it’s reduced from £88 – perhaps an exaggeration, but I have seen similar sets at £20.

The radio amateur community cottoned on to this 3 years ago when Superdrug were selling a very similar model for the rip-off price of £2.99:rolleyes: . A lot of hams modified them to receive all kinds of things they weren’t designed to. The current ones are perhaps harder to reassemble, so less good for modifying.

I bought one (well, four actually) and it works pretty well. A quick tune around and I could hear BBC World Service to Europe on 6.195MHz, Voice of Turkey, Radio China International (with on-air Chinese lessons), Deutsche Welle, Kol Israel, Radio Tirana, Voice of America and a couple of US religious stations. All the major shortwave broadcasters can be heard well – though if you are not used to shortwave be aware that there is usually some hiss and fading compared to FM, because the signals are bouncing off the sky, not arriving directly.

It also receives medium wave and FM, again with digital frequency readout. It uses two AA cells – so good for compatibility with GPS or torch. It is small and has a 50cm telescopic antenna, clock, alarm and headphone socket.

Downsides: it is made in China and feels flimsier than an £80 Sony. Although described as digital it does not use digital frequency control – it is an ordinary analogue radio with a digital display. This means tuning can need a deft hand. It is designed to receive broadcast stations - it will not receive amateurs/shipping/aircraft without modification. It will not receive long wave – so could be an issue if you need the shipping forecast.

Overall though, it is good kit and very good value at £1.99. Recommended, especially for the tropical traveller.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
That sounds great, and with the bandwidth, as you say, a steal at that price.
I have tried many , the last was the Gelert am/mw/fm what a pile of donkey **** that was, most usefull thing it has done is prop up a corner of my shed, aha atlast a use for it.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
No, it's just a receiver. It's essentially an ordinary household radio, but with short wave coverage, so it can receive long range broadcasts from across the world.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Sounds good an for £1.99 ya canny go wrong, i think i might nip down to the Ormskirk branch for lunch........:drive:

Mark

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have had one for years its a bit on the bulky side so for that price i may trade the old boy in for a light weight at that price you cannot go wrong ..

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
The radio amateur community cottoned on to this 3 years ago when Superdrug were selling a very similar model for the rip-off price of £2.99:rolleyes: . A lot of hams modified them to receive all kinds of things they weren’t designed to. The current ones are perhaps harder to reassemble, so less good for modifying.

Doc,

I have several of the older models and would be quite interested in some basic mods to extend their capabilities. Do you have any links for the modifications?

Cheers

JFW

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Does anyone know how well they receive in 'remoter' places in the UK? I suspect I know what the answer will be to this question and at that price, but does the radio have a socket for an external ariel? Going to Superdrug tomorrow.:naughty:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The various modifications are on Hans Summers site at http://www.hanssummers.com/

or, a search for 'Superdrug radio' will be fruitful.
The modifications for the older model include extending the frequency range, adding a BFO to receive CW/SSB (eg hams and aircraft) and adding a fine tuning control. The articles do assume the reader has a fair bit of technical knowledge and knows how to solder, use a multimeter etc.

The current ones are difficult to reassemble.

There is no external antenna socket. It is possible to couple an external antenna to the telescopic one by winding a wire around the telescopic rod and running it out the window. However you may find this overloads the receiver and hinders rather than helps.

'remote' does not really apply to shortwave reception as the normal situation is that the transmitter is hundreds or thousands of miles away. If you are at the bottom of a steep sided valley it could be an issue. On Sw the incoming signals are being reflected down from the sky (actually the ionosphere)

You will find that after dark reception above about 10MHz is fairly poor though. This is because we are at the bottom of the 11 year sunspot cycle.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Doc,

thanks for that - I've been raking through my bits box and will get the iron out tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

Cheers

JFW

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Nice one JFW.

I'll have to see if Eric Methven and I can persuade you to join the brotherhood of licensed amateur radio operators.....:)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Just bought one today, they are selling out fast according to the lady in the shop, not surprised at that price.
I will be taking a look at the modifications too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE