small metal waterbottle for use over a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Hi all,

I am looking on carrying a very small waterbottle which is good for boiling water. Is this any good for Boiling water in a fire if I have too - Klean Kanteen Classic Stainless Steel Water Bottle 18 oz

Can you recommend better?

Want to minimise my kit (lighten for certain ventures out)

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I thought the Klean Kanteen bottles were insulated (i.e. double skinned) in which case, definitely not; you may get an explosion.

Any stainless bottle that is single skinned, unlined (i.e. there is no plastic or other coating inside) and is not painted will do though - just make sure of the spec :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Weight-saving comes from making your kit as multi-purpose as possible.
Two or three nested pots. Can you make an open fire or must you use a stove?

A bottle has a small bottom surface area to be heated and tall sides for heat loss. Hard to stir anything.
My pots have big bottoms for heat capture. Faster heating, less fuel.

Reactions: Bishop

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve several types of single wall stainless bottles. Having bought a couple of the Reflect bottles I seem to have a thing for picking up cheapo copies in supermarket sales. I know you’re after an 18oz, but consider how you’re going to heat and handle it, the 27oz is a better all round option, it can be propped in a fire if need be. The 18oz will bubble over.

https://www.kleankanteen.co.uk/coll...products/the-reflect-27oz?variant=31356491410

By comparison to the cheaper options the Klean Kanteens are much more robust, thicker walled, longer thread for the top and generally cope with life way better. I keep the cheapos for daily dog walking and getting a cuppa on, but they dent easily and may warp at the top. In fact, two are kept on windowsills in the house to water plants.

If it’s any help I’ll take some pics of weight on scales and threading of top cap.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
For a small satchel day kit or Molle bottle pouch's I have tried a few combinations yet keep coming back to a mini billy made from the little stainless steel kitchen cannisters (tea/coffee/sugar). My only gripe is that they seal almost airtight using an interference fit so if used to transport water you get small but annoying drip escape as it sloshes about inside. There may be hope found kitchenware depts of Amazon or Ebay with high end food storage containers ticking many boxes, eg stainless steel, screw top, high temp silicone seals alas yet to find one the right shape.

Molle Bottle Pouch Kit with mini-billy
IMAG2658.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley
no idea if they still make them but one of my two 500ml stainless steel bottles is a "tatonka" -- it's not wide-mouth but it accompanied me for more than 19years.... . it seems to be thicker material than the klean kanteen (which got a dent but survived hanging in its pouch from a shoulder strap during a hit-and-run car accident a few month ago); you won't be able to cook soup in it but not water is possible. i'm using a homemade hanger to place them over the fire. as already stated it takes longer than a lot to reach boiling point....

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
For a small satchel day kit or Molle bottle pouch's I have tried a few combinations yet keep coming back to a mini billy made from the little stainless steel kitchen cannisters (tea/coffee/sugar). My only gripe is that they seal almost airtight using an interference fit so if used to transport water you get small but annoying drip escape as it sloshes about inside.
View attachment 56253

I have similar.
I found a stainless steel container that had a 'lid on a hinge' and an over centre 'lock' to hold it down. It has a rubber seal that fits around the inside of the lid that needs removing before heating (but it's just a 'ring' that lifts on/off with no problems).
The lid can then be left unlocked in the 'down' position which helps it to boil quicker.

From memory, it came from Aldi and originally held cocoa. It is about 500ml so plenty big enough for a mug of tea.

In the past I have used cannisters with 'joints' (soldered ?) to hold the bottom to the cylinder and found that these fairly quickly leak. The best sort seem to be the 'deep-drawn' one piece of steel.

campj

May 29, 2013
England
I've had a single wall Klean Kanteen for 4 years now and it's my every day bottle so it's a bit dented. I'm confident that it won't leak after filling it with hot water and putting it inside my sleeping bag, I wouldn't do the same with a supermarket brand.

Reactions: Nice65

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Weight-saving comes from making your kit as multi-purpose as possible.
Two or three nested pots. Can you make an open fire or must you use a stove?

A bottle has a small bottom surface area to be heated and tall sides for heat loss. Hard to stir anything.
My pots have big bottoms for heat capture. Faster heating, less fuel.

Know what your saying I normally use a crusader mug and issue water bottle for all my walks, camps. But I am looking for just times out with coat only with a strong coat pockets size.

Thinking today for it’s flattish appearance the Bear Grylls water bottle and mug combo ( please no comments on him).

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I’ve several types of single wall stainless bottles. Having bought a couple of the Reflect bottles I seem to have a thing for picking up cheapo copies in supermarket sales. I know you’re after an 18oz, but consider how you’re going to heat and handle it, the 27oz is a better all round option, it can be propped in a fire if need be. The 18oz will bubble over.

https://www.kleankanteen.co.uk/coll...products/the-reflect-27oz?variant=31356491410

By comparison to the cheaper options the Klean Kanteens are much more robust, thicker walled, longer thread for the top and generally cope with life way better. I keep the cheapos for daily dog walking and getting a cuppa on, but they dent easily and may warp at the top. In fact, two are kept on windowsills in the house to water plants.

If it’s any help I’ll take some pics of weight on scales and threading of top cap.

Thanks I did look at that size from the bushcraftstore and your right about size and smaller boiling over. I do like them just not sure I would carry them in a pocket or even a belt style pouch but still thinking.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A bottle smaller than 750 ml is to small in my opinion.

The 360 Degrees bottles , identic in the closure screw, are lighter than the similar kleen kanteen.( both 750 ml)

Tomshoo offers them in titanium too.

The 750ml 360 degrees bottle fits perfectly in its neoprene coating in a 450ml Robens titanium mug.

I guess it fits in a cheaper 450ml Tomshoo titanium mug as well, and probably the Tomshoo 750ml bottle fits in the 360 degrees Neoprene coat and both in the 450ml Tomshoo mug.

Compare the diametres, weights, prices and try it out, if that seems to be sensible!

I would be very interested if you would inform me about the results. To controll that theorie!

That would be very light, compact and relatively cheap.

A good but expensive option seems to be the KEITH canteen with mug in US Army stile, but other size.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE