Small hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
The positive with those brightly coloured items is that they are not so easily lost.
Drop a Gränsfors on a nicely vegetable covered forest deck and you can easily forget it.
Don't I know it! If you notice in my original post I said I used to own one, had an lk35 pack at the time, had it on the bottom of the frame but did not tie it securely enough! Searched for weeks returning to the same location. Never found it:cry:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Janne , the Swiss, you are surching, seems to be Felco.

Felco is the market leader for garden scissors.

Every professional gardener has one.

Reactions: Janne

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
If I ever had to sell my GB axes I would quite happily replace them with Fiskars. But as others have said look for something old and quality to restore.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It might be worth looking at the Husqvarna hatchet. You can pick them up for around £25 or so and they're every bit as good as a GB equivalent, once you've given the edge a bit of t.l.c..

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
Not quite a hatchet, but following the theme of Fiskars love in the thread, I have an XA3 brush axe that I can thoroughly recommend if it suits your purpose.

The blunt hook may exclude it from some tasks but I was truly stunned at how deep it will bite into green wood. There are some good videos on yt of people putting them through their paces. Carving would be a biy limited, but I did square up the ends of some 1.5" to 2" thick branches for reindeer faces quite easily (various species, green and seasoned).

Edit - reindeer faces linked in my 'enterprising offspring' post.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
This much I will say in favour of Fiskars, they make use it and abuse it tools which you are not going to get precious about. Certainly the case with my Fiskars hatchet, whilst I have spent some time restoring older tools, which I suppose is a labour of love, I am not going to use them the same way as I do my Fiskars, essentially not caring if the blade gets nicked or whatever because it is not expensive or rare to replace.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I use my Fiskars X7 since round about 25 years. No stress with a wooden handle like all the others I had before.
It looks used but technical it is as good as new.

The X5 is to short. The X7 with the longer handle has much more working power but nearly the same weight like the X5.

The total weight of my X7 is 600g. It is the old model, but I think the new has more or less the same weight.

That means it is 100g lighter than the usual german kitchen hatchet. On them is printed "600g" but that is ment without the handle.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Dad had a German hatchet and knife combo. Anno early 1960’s
Hatchet handle was wood, knife handle plastic made to look like stag antler.
The metal in both was some weird alloy, aluminium like, but the axe had the edge in iron. Borderline usable.

His old HJ knife was weirdly enough made from the same Al alloy.

That one was from -38.
I guess proper steel was reserved for more noble uses.
He always told me that alloy was from the Al pots and pans collected from the people with the pretext it would be made into aircraft, but was not good enough for that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE