Small folding knife, fixed blade, folding saw, kukri and small axe.

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
If you’re carrying a small folding knife(victorinox or something else) and your “fixed blade knife” (frost mora…) what else are you going to take with you. (saw, kukri or axe)

Please tell me what you take, and which kind of trip (daytrip, hike, 1weeksolocraft or maybe 1jear stumbling trough the woods…)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:D All of the above.

The WWII Khukuri I have is an excellent chopping tool, but is a little scary looking when strapped to my belt, so it stays home unless I'm on private property where the public can't see.

My saw is a T handled combination wood and bone saw that was sold by Buck knives near 20 years ago. It came with a nice leather belt scabbard and is a joy to use. Nothing against the nice folding saws on the market today, but this one will be hard to replace. I bring it with me on most trips where firewood gathering includes limbing dead fall, or blow down trees.

I just picked up an S.A. Wetterling large hunters axe and I can see it coming with me, even when I'm packing in. It's relatively lite weight and smallish size make it a good pack axe.

BTW, after using the Eriksson Mora Swedish Army Knife that came with my axe, I prefer it over the Frost in many ways. Not the least of which, is that it's handle is a bit more flexible in use.

For day hikes, I don't carry saw or axe, but will have both with me when I'm packing in for an overnight or longer stay.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
chrisvreugd, I carry very much as RA does, except always have a hatchet or in my case the GB hunter ax with me attached to the pack or accross my belt. In my hunting pack I also carry a folding saw with both blades. CG :yo:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i carry a svord drop point on my belt, a wilkinson sword folding saw and a cold steel khukri in my pack. i generally have a normark swede 60 in my pocket too.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
I wear a Stewart Marsh bushcrafter and an old army clasp knife on my belt.

I carry a folding saw, a GB SFA and I have just purchased an 'ickle GB mini its loveley ;)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Other than when flying I always carry my Swisstool on my belt and a SAK in my pocket. When I'm "playing bush" or shooting on private property I'll usually have one of my fixed blades on my belt too. My bag always has a fixed blade and a saw in it. Unless I have a specific task for it, I tend not to carry my hatchet on day trips, but it's usually in the boot of the car so can be slipped into my bag should I feel a need for it. The saw, I find is areally useful tool for the gathering of odd bits of timber from fallen or dead trees even whilst in relatively "public" places. The sight of a 10" saw seems not to bother people at all, but folks can be absolutely freaked out at the sight of a guy using a similar sized bowie for excatly the same task.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I used to carry my Wilkinson Sword sometimes (1897 pattern) but I decided it was too valuable for that but I have my eye on a general officer pattern sword in poor condition that might work except that it has no scabbard and the grip has a missing piece. Can't have everything.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
on my belt I carry my bison bushcraft fixed blade and one of my folders my pack has a browning takedown saw and a GB hunters axe, I also carry a lansky sharpening system. :lmao: :lmao:

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
hey fellow dutchie !

In the woods usually a mora for pretty much all kinds of trips. For short daytrips add a folding saw and small hatchet. For longer trips with a lot more sawing to do i bring a additional manual chainsaw or my sawvivor with and usually the hatchets stays home, on longer trips because of the weight.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It really depends on my mood.

Today on my short jaunt in the woods I had a folding saw, small axe, golok, medium fixed blade and a small fixed blade. Overkill you mightsay but I wanted to try some different tools out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE