Small cup and lid for use with Alcohol stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi guys just built one of these http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=33

Great stove, works awesome. Now I plan to use this in my day pack just to get a hot drink or to get a small soup packet. I have bought soup packs that make 7oz of soup so I think I will need a 10oz mug or so.

What I am looking for it a small mug, don't care what metal it is, aluminum, titanium, whatever. Just looking for a cup with a lid, as small and light as possible.

I have seen the Snow Peak Trek 700, but its a 24oz pot, fairly small but a little big just for an occasional drink and soup.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

:biggthump

leon-1

Geoffrey said:
Hi guys just built one of these http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=33

Great stove, works awesome. Now I plan to use this in my day pack just to get a hot drink or to get a small soup packet. I have bought soup packs that make 7oz of soup so I think I will need a 10oz mug or so.

What I am looking for it a small mug, don't care what metal it is, aluminum, titanium, whatever. Just looking for a cup with a lid, as small and light as possible.

I have seen the Snow Peak Trek 700, but its a 24oz pot, fairly small but a little big just for an occasional drink and soup.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

:biggthump

Geoffrey, the Swedish forces use a small green plastic folding mug, they are very lite and when folded will fit in your top pocket :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
a good Titanium cup/kettle/pot is the MSR titan kettle its 0.8 of a liter which I find to be just the right size for a cross between a mug and a one man cooking pot.

Titanium may not be the best choice though as it is nota good conductor of heat and so may not be very efficiant, which might be a concern when using and alcohol stove with a low output.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Geoffrey - Hi-Gear do small stainless steel mugs about £2.50 - £3 from any camping shop. then make your own lid from and old mess tin. If you've managed the stove should be a cinch :wave:

leon-1

I can fit the mini photon, the windshield, the potstand and one of the afore mentioned swedish folding plastic mugs inside the 10cm Zebra billy can, they have the added bonus of being good to use on an open fire as well as the stove.

They aren't the cheapest and they aren't the lightest, but as a small cooking unit they are very good (it will probably still weigh less than a Trangia or any of the petrol stoves) and it definitely takes up less space :)

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
cool thanks for the replies so far. I have had some stove failures. The jb weld holding the nut on let go. So I am going to build a different stove.

http://www.cloudwalkersatpage.com/page014.html

Good looking stove, made from 1 tuna can. I am still not sure on a pot, but hey thats no biggie. Currently I just use a large enamel mug. If I can figure out how to make a lid I will be all set.

Where can you get those folding cups that was mentioned in one of the posts?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

:pack:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Interesting thread on DIY alcohol stoves. I've read about it on the net, but your thread stirred me to have a go.

I used the base of a steel airgun pellet tin (RWS Hobby German type) and fitted over it the base of an aluminium beer can (of course, it had to be emptied first. The sacrifices I make in the cause of bushcraft....)

The fit is very tight and I decided to rely on friction for a good seal. I punched the 'jet' holes with a panel pin and hammer. I decided to fill it with meths with a syringe and hypodermic needle through one of the jets - so no need for a central filler hole and glueing on nuts etc.

Seems to work pretty well - had a cup of water boiling in under 5 minutes, and hasn't exploded yet. Very light. I understand the homebrew alcohol stove is now the fashion for thru-hikers on the Appalachian trail.

Now to fabricate a windshield/pot stand.

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
I've tried a few home made alcohol burners (not made by me) and they can be good, but at the end of the day whats wrong with a Trangia burner? They work well, you can carry them full of fuel and on the whole burn a lot longer and produce more heat. A water bottle metal "kidney" cup with a tin foil lid work well on any of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE