Small Blue Butterflies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
As I mentioned in Whetstone prospecting in Out and About all the way around there were, joined, pairs of Butterflies flying from stalk to stalk usually spending several seconds on each
incoming.jpg

but 9 times out of 10 they were disturbed by others flying in
Butterfly1.jpg

There was such a frenzy going on that they took no notice of QDanT
Butterflyhand.jpg

Butterfly2.jpg

just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They are great. Chalkhill Blues they are, just very slightly darker underwing than the Common Blue.

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
What a difference 7 days can make where as last week there were literally hundreds of Chalk hill blues (thanks Jonathan) this trip I didn't see a single one, the weather was about the same, little bit cooler, slight breeze. This time these were everywhere
x2butterfly.jpg

they seemed to be feeding on the Thyme and feeding and mating on the Thistles
orangemating.jpg

I should have checked the under wing fringe for a sub-id but are they Dark Green Fritillary ? (Jonathan) :notworthy
orangeonthistle.jpg

Last week and this time there were just a few of these flying about
smallheathonbuttercup.jpg

Small Heath ?
I didn't see any Butterflies on the Yarrow but the flies seemed to like it
x2fliesyarrow.jpg

and a Green eyed one ?
GreeneyesYarrow.jpg

and these small odd shaped ones ? were a pest at dinner time here's one on my hat. I don't use anything unless there's stuff about, but I put some Autan on which seemed to keep them away
oddshapedfly.jpg

just thought I'd share cheers all Danny

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
orangemating.jpg

I should have checked the under wing fringe for a sub-id but are they Dark Green Fritillary ? (Jonathan) :notworthy
orangeonthistle.jpg

Difficult to say without seeing the underside of the wing. It certainly looks to be the case, or Silver-washed Fritillary. I think you are right with Dark Greens though.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I've been corresponding with John Lee, a member on here from Washington state USA, who's mother came from Wyke Nr. Bradford West Yorkshire and married his father, a US airman during the second world war at Wyke parish church. So I had a trip over to take some photo's of the old house and the church, I couldn't manage to find any family burial plots owing to the overgrown state of the church yard
Wykegraveyard.jpg

but this had made it a wildlife haven with lots of Butterflies.
Small Copper ?
butterfly.jpg

and these that kept their wings shut on landing, good camouflage on a dried leaf
butterflyonleafcammo.jpg

as well as Peacock butterflies and large Whites. Just thought I include here to keep a Butterfly thread going
cheers Danny

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice butterflies Dan. The small odd-shaped flies are probably Acrocera globulis, whose larvae parasitise spiders. They are distinguished by the very small head and rounded thorax according to my book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE