Slow bottom laptop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Windows does have a bit of a "pedigree" I mean you had Windows Vista there were CE,ME and NT

........ Put em all together "Windows "Cement" LOL :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not according to my d/t architect. We have refused to install it professionally and will move from XP Pro to 7. The Vista jokes are funny though :)

None of my customers have moved to Vista on our recommendation. Same situation as Windows ME many moons ago, stop gap operating system to give the hardware market a shove and to have the public do your testing for you.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Sorry if anyone else has suggested this but if you can get hold of uniblue registry booster it's great. Not much of a techy head so not sure i can explain how it works but it worked for me. Laptop is running better since i ran it.
There is a free trial you can download but will only fix a handful of registry problems (i had over 800 and the trail will only fix about 15 or so). It might be useful to run the scan just to see if you have loads of these problems as they might what's slowing you down. I see you have already de-fragmented and cleared pics etc. Maybe worth a shot...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Microsoft have got it right with Windows 7, installs fast, runs fast, great software. Installed on three home machines now and its such a smooth install, no disk swapping, looking for drivers etc.

I've got ubuntu on an old laptop and its OK but was a bitch to get things like printer, scanner, wireless connection sorted out so I won't be messing about with it again, life is too short.

bivibabe

May 5, 2009
loch eck argyll
Running W7 on this old heap, a IBM T23, 512MB RAM and 16MB graphics.. :) It runs not bad really, a little slow at times, but thats mainly due to lack of RAM than anything else..

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
6a00d8344ab1b953ef01127914f76528a4-800wi

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I just replaced my laptop for a desktop and I'm running windows 7.Previously I ran windows xp.Very similar but so much faster.

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
As posted my laptop has been struggling of late and it's finally got enough on my nerves to do something about it!
Now I've defragged dumped my pics but it's still spool slow!
So advice sais to reboot, so can I save my bookmarks I'm using morzilla firefox?
Will thic cure it's slow assness?
I looked at memory used and it's upto 20g from a poss 30?
Sorry for daft questions but I'm a putor clutz.
Ta dave

There are a few things you can do, some have been covered I expect already. Un-installing programs that you have installed and no longer use. Moving MP3 or audio files onto your main pc or backup drive or USB stick can free up alot of space. Doing the same with picture or video files will help too.

You have some of your words mixed up - not your fault and is a common mistake. To "Reboot" is the term used when you shut down your machine to an off state and then start it back up. I do this to my laptop every month or so, normally I just put it into a sleep mode when its not in use.

I think what you may have meant is to "Reinstall" the operating system - This personally I wouldn't recommend especially if all this computer stuff is a little beyond your skill. Sometimes it can go well but there is a chance things might not. So I would do this as a last resort because you would lose your bookmarks, any stored passwords within the system - which isn't so bad if you have them all written down in some coded way so that others cant understand them, you would also lose any pictures, music, video and documents that you haven't backed up on to a USB stick or external drive.

It would cure the slow assness to a point, after you have re-installed all your favourite programs, copied back pictures, music and video you might be in the same position which I will cover next.

Another mix up on your wordings is your reference to "memory" used, the term memory often gets muddled and confused so don't worry. There are two things really on this one, memory and hard drive space. Hard drive space is where all your documents, music, programs, operating system, pictures, etc are stored. Memory (or RAM) is where the programs gets loaded into - the more programs you run at the same time the more RAM gets used. If you right click "MY COMPUTER" and click "PROPERTIES" it should tell you how much you have, the more the merrier with this one. Anything less than 1gig and you should think of upgrading it. Doing so wont lose any data from your hard drive, HOWEVER its not as simple as plugging it in. With laptops you have to get compatible memory as there are so many to choose from - its a minefield to be honest.

So, you mentioned that you have 20g used from 30g. Thats fine considering all things really, it means that you have 10 gigs of space on your 30 gig hard drive. If you was to only have 5 gig or lower then that wouldn't be so good. You can improve on this as I have mentioned before, with the un-installing of programs that are no longer used, backing up videos and music on to an external drive or memory stick. This will free up some space and after another defrag then things should improve.

In short, I would un install programs that I don't use anymore, backup and transfer music, videos, pictures, documents to an external device - its also handy to back that up to a second location if you really cant live without them. Then run the defrag software, after all complete shutdown your laptop and restart it like and see if there is any difference.

If no difference I would try and find a reputable & recommended pc shop in your area and having written down your laptops manufacturer and model number go to the shop asking about what are the possible upgrades and costs for more RAM and new bigger hard drive for your specific laptop - you can only upgrade the RAM and hard drive to a certain level which is individual to your model of machine. After getting the costs and if its value for money then you could go that route.

Or you might have to bite the bullet and buy a new one as the one you have might just be too old. And as others have said, you might actually need a desktop machine to meet your wants and needs opposed to a laptop.

I hope some of this information is helpful and not totally confusing. And i wish you success in solving the problem.

Phil.

leon-1

@ MrPhil,

Topman I just did what you suggested and my laptop is loads quickergoodjob

Hey Pete, long time no see. Good to see you:D

MrPhill, nice post. I am a qualified computer engineer and that's pretty much what I would tell someone to do to start with when running a windows system. I would also look into the amount of programs used at startup and disable any which are not required and and look into system services that are resource hungry and do not require to run continuously.

If you are feeling brave then look into linux, there are loads of different flavours and you can use a live cd to try them without installing. The KDE interface looks and feels more like windows, so at first it may be worth looking into something like Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS or OpenSuSE.

I am not saying boot windows into touch, but here at my Grans we run Kubuntu (my gran turns 89 this year), my Mum runs Kubuntu and Windows XP (Kubuntu on the laptop is faster than the newer and more powerful workstation and as such gets used more) and I run a multitude of sins as I have a multiboot system that runs four flavours of linux and a machine that runs Windows XP.

If you want a games machine then stick with windows, but as an alternative to windows for a workstation then linux is a powerful beastie.

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
@leon-1

Thanks for the compliment, I have lots of experience with friends of friends asking for info on their slightly older machines so like you said start with the simple things.

@The Joker

Glad things are running smoother. The only other thing I would suggest is to use a different defragger, maybe leon-1 could suggest a good alternative to the standard one as I have "borrowed" one from work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE