Slow bottom laptop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Mrphil thanks for the clarification ADZE has pretty much sorted me out...he's been a star.
'I would also look into the amount of programs used at startup and disable any which are not required and and look into system services that are resource hungry and do not require to run continuously.'
It does seem damn slow at start up how would I do the above?
Sorry to be a clutz but its how I learn!
dave
Oh yeah can I put my i tunes onto an external drive? Done all the photo's but tried i tunes and things went a bit Pete T

Last edited:

leon-1

Mrphil thanks for the clarification ADZE has pretty much sorted me out...he's been a star.
'I would also look into the amount of programs used at startup and disable any which are not required and and look into system services that are resource hungry and do not require to run continuously.'
It does seem damn slow at start up how would I do the above?
Sorry to be a clutz but its how I learn!
dave
Oh yeah can I put my i tunes onto an external drive? Done all the photo's but tried i tunes and things went a bit Pete T

Hi mate, you can run a program called msconfig. I can't send you screen shots of how to do it from here as I am at my families home (grandmothers actually) and have no access to a windows machine.

If you are running Windows XP

From the windows "START" button there is a run program box.

Click on that.

type "msconfig" without the inverted comma's in it and press enter.

This should bring up a box.

It will have a box that says "selective startup"

Check that box and then click on the tab at the top that says "Startup"

This will then show a series of boxes with ticks in them. They are the programs that windows runs at startup, it will have anti virus, messenger and a load of other bits if you use them. Apart from the main windows programs and anti virus the rest is not really necessary. Uncheck the boxes on the programs which are not required.

There will also be a tab called system services. Now this is a rotten one to deal with, but if you have "indexing" switched on, windows will try and catalog everything on your system and it slows things down considerably. The main problem is that this is linked with windows search and will effect the use of the windows search facility if it's turned off, but it should speed up your boot time.

when you apply changes it will ask to reboot, say yes.

Once it has rebooted it will tell you that you have been messing with the windows startup configuration and and did you want to go into it again, tell it no and carry on as normal.

As I said, it would be easier to show you with screen shots of what to do or to do a remote session.

If ADZE is about he may be better to get stuck in to do it in person if you are unsure of what you need and what you don't.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
That sounds great will have a go at that.
Taking a age to get on the net. I have instaled new virus protection avg and malware is this slowing it down ?
Thanks all for your helpd

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
12 min from clickin morzilla to getting on bcuk what a pile of do do!
Whats outpost firewall invalid path mean? I t keeps coming up with that on start up

D

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Coming back to this a little late in the day perhaps. Outpost Firewall shouldn't give you any errors on startup - unless you've accidentally prevented it from starting properly in MSConfig, it might well do then. Has it done that since you installed it or has it started doing that recently? At what point during startup does it give you that error?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok Adz I think it comes up with that error after user login.
Can't check now as on the phone at work.
It has only started saying it since installing the new software you suggested Ade.
Got to say when first switched on it takes an age to go from page to page on here but after an hour or more speeds up to near normal?!
Thans again d

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Dave,

Before you do or try anything else, ensure you have a backup copy of any data you cannot afford to lose from your laptop. By copy I do not mean a second copy on the hard drive - it needs to be copied to a separate medium altogether, eg CD-R/DVD-R, an external HDD or a USB memory stick. If you don't make a back up of your data you stand every chance of losing something.

Next steps:
Is it possible the reason for the slowness you experienced and the reason it seem better now was because you had just install AVG 9.0 Free and it was running the Optimization scan it runs just after installation? This uses a lot of disk and processor time and can make the machine quite slow until it finishes.

Is Firefox the only browser that seems to be affected by this slowness? Try IE for one session and see if that is affected also. There have been some reports of Firefox not working correctly since the upgrade to 3.6.2, I've seen it reported that AVG might have a bearing on this. If both browsers are affected it's more likely you're still infected with something - see below:

Re the Outpost invalid path error, given the infection you had I'd say the outpost installation failed. You'll need to remove it if it's showing as installed:

Instructions to remove Outpost only: said:
Click the Start button
Choose Control Panel
Choose Switch to Classic View in the top left
Choose Add/remove programs
Wait for it to 'populate the list'
Now look down the list for Outpost Firewall 2009, click it and then click the remove button - uninstalls can take a few minutes to complete and frequently don't have a huge amount of on screen activity so please be patient with it

Your laptop was infected with some, adware (mycoolwebsearch) and a couple of rogue anti spyware trojans (AVE.exe and AV.exe) AVE.exe hijacks the installed browser (firefox and IE in your case) processes to prevent you being able to download genuine anti malware and security software. Unless you've got a complete all clear from Malwarebytes after running a full scan of your system there's every possibility it's still infected with something.

I'm assuming you've installed and updated the following:

Malwarebytes anti-malware - from http://www.malwarebytes.org - this should have redirected you to CNET.com (Direct CNET.com download link)

AVG 9.0 Free - from http://free.avg.com

Outpost Firewall Free - from http://www.agnitum.com or the Direct CNET.com download link

When was the last time you ran Malwarebytes and what was the log it generated?

If you've got any problems with the above or if there's anything you don't understand - either reply in this thread (mods willing) or give me a ring, you've got my phone number.

Cheers,

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ade you are a star mate. Wanadoo and IE also are slow will try reinstalln outpost after reinstalling it. The software I have downloaded was from the sites you mentioned last scan with malware was the one I sent you.
We reinstall outpost and run a scan and see how I get on
ta again!!!!!!!! D

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I haven't read this thread closely but I haven't seen this mentioned:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It's a very quick and easy way to clean out a lot of cr@p from Windows boxes.

I'd always use it first before doing anything else such as defragmenting drives (which is overrated IMHO).

Even if you run Windows it should very rarely be necessary to wipe a drive and reinstall it from scratch.

I have no affiliation whatever with the ccleaner folks. I only run GNU/Linux for my own purposes, but I support a lot of Windows machines in my working life and I've used ccleaner on quite a few of them with good results. Always read the label. Retire to a safe distance. Your mileage may vary.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
CC Cleaner work very well!
happy0034.gif

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Used to have c cleaner on the pc upstairs and forgot about it on here. Well I downladed it have run the antimalware scans twice and everything is seeming better.
Thanks for all the help its really appreciated special ta to Adze for his time and pm's who went out of his way to pm me and sort me out your a star.
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE