Sloe Gin :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Bunnerz said:
I have a litre sitting next to my bed. Been going for a month and a half now...so I guess my christmas...2 months....wont be long enough?

I used half littre gin, 400g sloes and 100g of sugar...or the other way round I cant remember! alot of sloes thats for sure.

I cut mine with a knife nearly all the way round....was that a bad move?

And one more thing...does it add any more proof? Or just flavour? :confused:
I think having a litre of sloe gin next to the bed could be way too tempting for me :D

Cutting them is fine! although tradition says you should use a silver fork ;) but cutting will let plenty of flavour out which is what you want.

It doesn't make it any stronger (i.e. increase the proof) as it does not ferment as such because the alcohol kills any bacteria like yeast. It is basically a flavouring. Alcohol is very good at dissolving out all the flavours in things and I think the wonderful deep ruby red colour is just as important.

Drinking at Christmas is fine, just keep giving it a stir round at least once a week to release the flavour/ colour and make sure you strain in through really fine cloth (doubled over even) as the sloe throws a lot of fine sediment. And you can always have a go at making the sloe gin choccie too ;)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I usually filter mine through coffee filters.
You have to change them fairly often as they clog up but the result is buitiful and clear - no sediment at all.

Mark

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
In terms of types of gin, Gordons is frequently used because it has one of the highest alcohol contents. Basically, it doesn't really matter which type of gin you use, just try and get the strongest one you can!

We're usually told to pick sloes after the first frost. Well, if I'd have done that: a) I wouldn't have got any (the birds have had them all now, and b) I'd still be waiting for the first frost!

The way to do it is to pick in late September/early October, then store them in the freezer over night to simulate a frost.

Next day, I used a bit of kitchen paper and a sewing pin (with a round end as it's easier to hold), then roll each berry across the paper, stabbing it with the needle a couple of times and then putting it in the bottle. It takes a while so wait for a good radio/tv programme.

Mine should be ready by Xmas - oh God, I hope so.

A bit off the thread but: -

I've just got back with my son Ben from collecting some really juicey wild damsons.

As the Damson Vodka that I made in early September is now gone :eek: it's about time to make make some more.

I gotta say vodka v gin is a hands down winner for the vodka - might even do a picture tutorial after I've had a couple of beers ;)

Enjoy your seasonal fruit drinks :lmao:

Cheers all,

Phil.

Sorry to post here, yet again off thread, I just wanted to share one of the pictures I took of the Wild Damsons fruit on the tree: -

damson.jpg

I also made sure there was enough windfall for the badgers to enjoy. ;)

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE